PDA

You are currently viewing AudioSmile's archive. This provides a plain text version of actual threads and forums for easy access. If you would like to see the original version of any page with all links and images included, click below.

View Full Version : Musical Fidelity Speakers MC2 & MC4

lawrence2357
5th May 2006, 00:30
I bought a pair of MC2s the other week for £45, they are lovely and transparent with vocal/chamber music. I bought a pair of MC4s straight after when I saw them on e-bay, which have lots of extra bass and a fuller sound if perhaps losing a little of the transparency of the MC2s.

Does anyone else really like these speakers? I don't hear much about them.

There are 2 pairs of MC2s going cheap on e-bay, one can be bi-wired and has a rear port (like mine) and the other has 2 front ports and only a single pair of binding posts, does anyone know why MF changed the design?

Mr_Sukebe
5th May 2006, 06:42
I owned a pair of MC4s for years, and thought they were pretty damn good. They were bought in preference to a pair of mk1 AE1s.
The only real downside was that they were trying hard to be the most ugly speaker ever made.
When new the MC4 was £500, the MC2 was £300.
Mine were only supplanted by a pair of Linn Kabers, which when new were around £1500. So yeah, I rather liked them.

lawrence2357
5th May 2006, 07:31
The MC4s were certainly at the back of the queue when looks were being handed out. Those big foam 'grilles' have to go down as one of the worst speaker design faux-pas ever made (although maybe they are very sonically transparent), and it's not as if you can take them off to improve the aesthetics as the speakers themselves are just as ugly underneath.

brizonbiovizier
5th May 2006, 08:27
I have had both. MF changed the deign to make more money - it was a complete rewrite and sounded dismal.

The mc4 should be just as transparent but perhaps has a richer balance in the upper bass.

lawrence2357
5th May 2006, 08:59
I have the v1 MC2s but I think they are v2 MC4s, will these be inferior to the v1?

domfjbrown
5th May 2006, 09:58
God, if you think MC4s look nasty - you've never had Epos ES14s (in walnut) on their own stands in a smallish room - now THAT'S ugly (but I loved it!).

brizonbiovizier
5th May 2006, 10:14
Do they have the transparent bass drivers? If so they are the good ones.

lawrence2357
5th May 2006, 17:05
yes, i can see the wires and the wadding through the MC4 cones, but not through the MC2 cones (i don't think that MF made any MC2s with transparent cones?). and they have a very pleasing sound which I can't imagine I will ever tire of.

I'm hopefully getting an A100 on sunday so I can get the original MF sound from them (assuming the capacitors etc. are still up to it).

andi
5th May 2006, 19:06
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/andipicture/Scan008February192006.jpg.

I loved mine. Excellent bass for their size. Not the deepest but so tuneful. Treble could be a little uncouth but i expect this was down to CDP.

lawrence2357
5th May 2006, 19:39
Mine are the same as those except the grilles are wooden with black cloth and velcro pads to attach to the speakers. Your grilles are the same type as I have on my MC4s. Here's a pair on e-bay the same as mine, but I also have little sponge plugs for the back ports.

The second pair on e-bay look very different, here are some pics:

Mr_Sukebe
5th May 2006, 19:52
Those MC4s are not the first generation version. The mk1 had an offset port and translucent main drivers.

brizonbiovizier
5th May 2006, 21:21
Yes those are the bad ones on ebay.

lawrence2357
5th May 2006, 21:29
those are all MC2s, i assume the first picture, and andi's speakers are the first gen MC2s, also without transparent drivers which I think were only on the MC4s and the reference 4s. I've never seen a pair of MC1s, MC5s or MC6s does anyone have a pic?

Also, is it worth buying an A100 amp for £90 or are they all reaching the end of their shelf life now?

brizonbiovizier
5th May 2006, 21:31
the mc2s didnt have transparent drivers you are right

RobHolt
6th May 2006, 00:48
The MC4 with transparent drivers were lovely speakers.
A friend owned a pair and ran them with MF A100 and Pink Triangle TT back in the late 80s. I have to admit to really liking that system even though I was a rabid flat earth crusader at the time :)

andi
6th May 2006, 12:51
A100 amp for £90 sounds ok. Check the volumne control does not create to much electrical noise when you turn it up and down

SCIDB
6th May 2006, 19:55
Hi,

I had a pair of Musical Fidelity MC2 in the late 80s. These were quite enjoyable. I ran them with a Audio Innovations Series 300 then a series 500 amp. I also used them with a marantz PM 200(or was it a PM250?) amp. Then went on to using a pair of Snell J/II loudspeakers. I had a lot of interest when I sold MC2 speakers on.

I also heard the MC4 loudspeakers at the time compared with the J/IIs. Good detail but didn't match the intergration of the Snells. I prefered the soft treble of the Snells to the metal dome tweeter of the MF speakers.

The later versions were, IMO, were not as good speakers.

SCIDB

Question123
7th May 2006, 16:48
My main system uses a pair of MC4's through a charlize t-amp, and I think they are excellent! Although they can get a bit muddled in more complex music, but thats probably down to my poor source (onboard soundcard).

lawrence2357
7th May 2006, 20:29
I bought the A100 amp today and I'm very pleased with the results. I'm using an early sony sacd player (with standard cds) and the results are not muddled (e.g. radiohead ok computer), have yet to try some beethoven and mussorgsky though.

Rory
8th May 2006, 14:55
i've also been through a pair of MC2s in my time. Sounded ok- were a bit bright and the bass wasn't deep at all.

I would like to hear the MC6s. Are the MC4s the ones with 3 tweeters, Neat MFS stylée?

brizonbiovizier
8th May 2006, 15:44
The mc6s were only in the new range - they werent any good. You may have heard the new mc2s - which werent very good either.

The original mc2s were my very first speaker. I passed them to my bro who upgraded to mc4s which put back the bass that was lacking.

keithht
7th August 2008, 22:12
The MC6's are superb speakers, they need a large room. I am always surprised by the number of people who have heard these units as very few were made or sold, Including the expert on one forum or other who mentioned the upward facing drivers reducing the image depth, none of the MC6's units faced upwards that was the MC5's. One of the MC6s' abilities is to produce a believable image, my two main criticisms of the units is a rather sweet take on any material you play through them and probably linked to this is a bias against heavy rock music and for classical and jazz otherwise thay are very good and as long as you have a reasonable sized room most people would be impressed with what they heard. Incidentally it might be interesting to hear them driven by a 10-15 watt valve amp as they are 92db/watt efficient.

hq2@hotmail.co.
2nd March 2009, 16:55
I have hooked up in the same room Celestion 66 studio monitors driven by Quad 34-405/2......and Musical fidelity MC6 driven by Musical fidelity pre and a Leak 20 valve power amp the 66s get little use to say the M/F MC6s are no good is behond my understanding

lawrence2357
28th October 2009, 20:04
The MC6's are superb speakers, they need a large room. I am always surprised by the number of people who have heard these units as very few were made or sold, Including the expert on one forum or other who mentioned the upward facing drivers reducing the image depth, none of the MC6's units faced upwards that was the MC5's. One of the MC6s' abilities is to produce a believable image, my two main criticisms of the units is a rather sweet take on any material you play through them and probably linked to this is a bias against heavy rock music and for classical and jazz otherwise thay are very good and as long as you have a reasonable sized room most people would be impressed with what they heard. Incidentally it might be interesting to hear them driven by a 10-15 watt valve amp as they are 92db/watt efficient.

Just noticed some MC6s on ebay and realised you had responded to my thread ages ago. Do you mean what you said about the Elektra and A series? ;)

Dulwich
31st December 2009, 19:17
I still have my MC2s running alongside MFA1 amp. The speakers work well with this amp, but contributers are right about the brightness - had to tame it with smooth sounding speaker cable. I think my speakers are the first version. The front of the speaker doesn't have any blue lettering on at all. After twenty years of service, I'm going to retire them for something new. Anyone got any good suggestions for efficient bookshelf speakers that are happy placed close to a wall? Budget £1k.

zanash
1st January 2010, 16:35
I bought the A100 amp today and I'm very pleased with the results. I'm using an early sony sacd player (with standard cds) and the results are not muddled (e.g. radiohead ok computer), have yet to try some beethoven and mussorgsky though.

I had a a100 back in the day ...

watch out as it can get very hot ...some have self destructed ...

great sounding amp though ..

It may need a recapping due to the excessive heat dryng them out ...

Rana
1st January 2010, 18:27
Back in the 1980's I had an MF A1 connected to an MF MC2 with MF solid core cables (the latter were a rather attention seeking light blue colour). It was all pleasant sounding, but so dull from a music-making viewpoint. A pair of ancient Quad IIs rescued from the depths of Five Ways Hi-Fi for next to nothing soon woke up the system...and soon I was into valves (Concordants) and horns (Lowthers) loving my music again!

RobHolt
2nd January 2010, 16:15
On the back of what Pete has said above, if you do recap these amplifiers ensure that long life 105 deg rated caps are used.

Loved the look of 80s MF kit though the build could be a bit iffy.
The designs are sound though with many of them designed by Tim de Paravicini.

Rana
22nd January 2010, 01:11
Strange experience tonight. I have stupidly sold my Inca Talon amp to the same person who bought my Katana CD player who has been coveting it, and my replacement amp has not turned up (I am worried about this seller....but that's another story). Thus, I dug out from my freezing garage my brother-in-law's decrepit and dusty B200 amp for some temporary sounds. Wow! After warming & cleaning it up it sounded fabulous into my Shanny Arcs. Cannot believe it - it did things that my A1 would never have done even given the mists of time on my memory. Wondering now if I had a "Friday-build" A1 then. Cannot complain, I worked for Rover in Longbridge at the time....

Mr_Sukebe
22nd January 2010, 08:07
...Cannot complain, I worked for Rover in Longbridge at the time....

So it was your rotten sandwich that I found under the carpet of my 200 then?

Rana
22nd January 2010, 21:12
Can I have it back?

justinhi
13th February 2010, 19:57
i had the mk1 mc4 love them to bits but I now have meridian.. ..when i have a second room hifi it will be retro a100 amp and mc4 mk1 s yummy