PDA

You are currently viewing AudioSmile's archive. This provides a plain text version of actual threads and forums for easy access. If you would like to see the original version of any page with all links and images included, click below.

View Full Version : Your speaker cable recommendations, please.

thrudge
15th May 2008, 09:28
Firstly, I suppose I'd better say that this is a genuine query and I'm not looking to ignite another yet cable debate. Cable sceptics please look away now, and please note that I intend to try cheap cable from the local hardware shop as well.

Anyway, to the point. I'd appreciate recommendations for copper cable in the sensible money bracket, preferably not thin stuff and preferably no more than £30 a metre. I'd consider spending more, but it would have to be a very significant leap in sound quality.

I usually use Chord Flatline (a ribbon-type copper cable coated in Teflon). It sounds good, but rather boomy in the bass. At the moment, I'm on a borrowed set of Chord something-or-other, a very thin silver-plated cable.

The borrowed set tames the boom, gives better imagery, and better treble and vocals. But it also turns the bass into a weak and pallid thing and sucks the life and energy out of music. Even AC/DC sound tame :eek:

I don't know whether these effects are caused by the cable thickness or the fact that it's silver. I do know that I'd like the best of both worlds - the energy of my copper cables and the clarity of the silver.

Any recommendations gratefully received.

DavidF
15th May 2008, 12:04
I'm not looking to ignite another yet cable debate.

:D :D

I'm using Silver and Gold .....to good effect

Colin2040
15th May 2008, 12:18
I have recently installed Origin Live and I am mighty impressed.Bit of a pain to work with as it is stiff but results are very good.£6 per m

LinearMan
15th May 2008, 13:10
Mogami 2972

eisenach
15th May 2008, 13:21
Went from Chord Legend (like Flatline, maybe even the same!) to NVA 3. A good change.

zanash
15th May 2008, 14:10
thought the nva's had to use there own ?

boomy bass as described is classic copper multi stranded sound ...

go solid core .....try twin and earth for a taste ...if you like than look at some of the commercial designs..

Dave's is not silver gold by the way .....its lizt copper design !!

thrudge
15th May 2008, 14:19
boomy bass as described is classic copper multi stranded sound ...

go solid core .....try twin and earth for a taste ...if you like than look at some of the commercial designs..
!!

Ah, I didn't know that about multi-standed copper. Thanks, Zanash. I've just been perusing the Origin Live stuff as per Colin's suggestion and they've got some solid core stuff. Might give it a go.

And thank you to everyone who has responded so far - I've googled your recommendations and am now deep in thought. Not to mention keen to try a new toy :D

thrudge
15th May 2008, 14:32
BTW, maybe I should have mentioned that I've got a 12watt (at least I think it's 12) valve amp hooked up to 104dB horn speakers.

DavidF
15th May 2008, 15:06
Dave's is not silver gold by the way .....its lizt copper design !!

whoops...

:o :o

:D

bottleneck
15th May 2008, 15:42
hi ...

In 2 minds about posting this, but the internet is open to all, and if you disagree with something you should say IMHO. No offense to anyone, anywhere etc.

IMHO a bass booming sound is most likely caused by speaker placement in a room, the position of the listener within the room and the room acoustic itself.

Thats not to say 'don't try solid core cable' - do so if you would like to, don't be aswayed by me.

I'm simply saying that booming bass is IME likely to be caused by one of the above reasons.

All the best,

Chris

thrudge
15th May 2008, 16:35
In 2 minds about posting this, but the internet is open to all, and if you disagree with something you should say IMHO. No offense to anyone, anywhere etc.

IMHO a bass booming sound is most likely caused by speaker placement in a room, the position of the listener within the room and the room acoustic itself.
Chris

Cheers Bottleneck, no offence taken at all and thank you for the advice. You could well be right. Unfortunately, the speakers pretty much have to sit where they are (the huge fat feckers) and so do I, unless I completely rearranged the whole room - which is feasible but would be seriously inconvenient in lots of other ways.

DavidF
15th May 2008, 16:46
, unless I completely rearranged the whole room -

Thats what I did.

which is feasible but would be seriously inconvenient in lots of other ways.

That the one...

Its a complete PITA......but it does sound better.

bottleneck
15th May 2008, 18:42
thrudge - what about some room acoustic treatments?

mr cat
15th May 2008, 18:54
van damme 4mm - less than 3 quid metre....doesn't sound any differnt from the ven den hul the wind mk11 I preveviously owned...

Baudrillard
15th May 2008, 18:57
I'm looking to get some new cable myself, about 4 metres length, two runs for biamping. Looking at something like Mogami (2972 / 3104), Van damme 2.5mm studio grade, Supra super Rondo or something similar.

Not sure if there's much between them?

Neil
15th May 2008, 21:58
Hi T - I'm not a cable sceptic - I was in a previous life as musician / postgrad student - and have open mindedly (??) tried a lot of speaker cable (finding a greater difference than swapping power cables or interconnects).

I'd agree with Bottleneck that speaker placement is primarily responsible for boomy bass. But in terms of speaker wire I'd without any doubt try Kimber 4TC (not 8TC) - yes it's multistranded copper but in no way (in any systems I've used it in - from valves to 100W tranny monoblocs) produced bloated or boomy bass. Sadly I'm with Mr Andrews on this one. Others - I've used Canare and "Studiospares" professional cables - good but 4TC much better. As for solid core I liked DNM Reson, but it apparently doesn't suit some amps. Didn't like the Nordost cables I tried but found Goertz flat cable (don't know the name, similar to Townsend Isolda) pretty good as well.

Colin2040
15th May 2008, 23:18
Thrudge I use a 12w SET and favourite cables so far are Goetrz,ZU Wax which was very good and this Origin Live.As I said its a bit inflexible and needs a bit of work to reveal the cables but well worth it.

cooky1257
16th May 2008, 11:44
I favour the NVA range of 7 core solid cables-they do the job well but the very idea that multistrand produces boomy bass is a stinker IMO!I'm currently using NVA on mid and tops with some 4mm OEHL BACH multi strand up to 800hz and the bass is clear, fast, deep as a deep thing with great dynamics and is cheap as chips too.
Cooky

Rocker
16th May 2008, 12:02
Why do forum members seem reluctant, or at least that is how it appears to me, to admit that an expensive item [cable, support, speaker stand etc.] is actually worth what was paid for it. Worth the cost both aesthetically and sonically. I imagine the mythically 'average' hi-fi enthusiasist system cost from £2½K to £15K or would have if the individual items were purchased new. Yet speaker cable at £1.00 per metre?? Seems that there is something wrong here. IMHO everything affects your hi-fi system. Everything, from the room it is in to the mains electricity that powers it. I am just about the most cynical of people, I take every claim made by manufacturers and distributors with two grains of salt. Yet I had to admit that Nordost cables, finite elemente wall shelf, Ceraballs, Russ Andrews PowerBlock etc. all contributed to better sound from my system than the supplied cables, my Target rack, standard 4-way mains block and so on.

Some of these items cost an obsene amount of money but after a fair trial period I found that they work and I consider that they are worth what they cost. And I have better things to do than try to find a cheaper way of supporting my CD Player than by using three Ceraballs. Things like sitting down and actually listening to some music for one.

Czechchris
16th May 2008, 12:19
Well, I am not reluctant.
I love Townshend Isolda speaker cable and their dct300 interconnects. I have heard the speaker cable against Chord Epic and signature and preferred it. It sounds very natural, clear, allows plenty of bass. It just sounds "right". All IMO of course.

mr cat
16th May 2008, 12:19
I paid 150 quid for some speaker cables (rrp 650) - and it was no better than the 39 quid van damme cable I bought - I initially bought it as an interim when I moved house as I needed a longer cable and bcause it sounded fine - I kept it... :)

cooky1257
16th May 2008, 13:02
Why do forum members seem reluctant, or at least that is how it appears to me, to admit that an expensive item [cable, support, speaker stand etc.] is actually worth what was paid for it. Worth the cost both aesthetically and sonically. I imagine the mythically 'average' hi-fi enthusiasist system cost from £2½K to £15K or would have if the individual items were purchased new. Yet speaker cable at £1.00 per metre?? Seems that there is something wrong here. IMHO everything affects your hi-fi system. Everything, from the room it is in to the mains electricity that powers it. I am just about the most cynical of people, I take every claim made by manufacturers and distributors with two grains of salt. Yet I had to admit that Nordost cables, finite elemente wall shelf, Ceraballs, Russ Andrews PowerBlock etc. all contributed to better sound from my system than the supplied cables, my Target rack, standard 4-way mains block and so on.

Some of these items cost an obsene amount of money but after a fair trial period I found that they work and I consider that they are worth what they cost. And I have better things to do than try to find a cheaper way of supporting my CD Player than by using three Ceraballs. Things like sitting down and actually listening to some music for one.

The problem is that the power of suggestion is a strong one and the prices charged for shelves or little cones various interconnects, speaker cables or what have you that may well change the sound of your kit are so obscenely priced.
Ask yourself how a studio manages to capture all these revelatory musical nuances revealed by these expensive accessories without resorting to there use at all....bog standard mic cables/stands, speaker cables, mains electricity, power strips etc.
I personally think it's 'mostly' BS; see some of the pro amp posts-you really shouldn't waste money on boutique hifi accessories or components-go Pro-it's honest and very high quality- you wont go back.
ALL my own humble opinion of course and if it makes you happy then it's right for you.
Cooky

DavidF
16th May 2008, 13:26
Why do I feel a debate coming on??

:(

"I personally think it's 'mostly' BS"

at least you state it as an opinion, rather than fact........

"prices charged for shelves or little cones "

...actually big cones are far better ;)

Just google for vibrations+lab equipment to observe that microphony is a big subject affecting science kit as well as audio equipment.

"if it makes you happy then it's right for you."

...perhpts I am being a little sensitive but doesn't this sound a little patronising? :)

fwiw the gains I've made experimenting with cones and iso platforms (at little cost) have indeed made me very happy.

Power of pursuasion?

No, I don't think so. YOu can loose as easily as you can gain....and you soon know which it is. When you here an instrument you know you've never heared before you are pretty sure you've gained.

IMO of course.

;)

Rocker
16th May 2008, 14:13
Fascinating replies. Firstly,I did not post my reply to 'start an argument or a debate'. Rather some posters are openly dismissive of commercial tweaks. It is OK if you make it up yourself but taboo if you buy it from, for example, Russ Andrews. It is as well to realise that people check out forums such as these to get or read the opinions of those they assume/hope 'are more experienced in this subject' than themselves. It is possible that a reader might be put off from trying something that would reveal hidden qualities in the kit they already own. Which would be a pity.

IMHO it is only logical if I try and make the very best sounds from the kit I have. With that objective in mind I listened to the system as it was and through a process of 'try it and see' I arrived where I am now.

The purpose of my post was to highlight the fact that there are commercial tweaks that improve the sound of your system. I agree that some are costly [based on the cost of manufacturing the devices], and (definitely) a lot are over hyped but some of them do actually work.

ShinOBIWAN
16th May 2008, 14:15
I wish I could experience a day in the life of some of you guys. It must be fascinating for all these repetitive discussions to keep popping up.

thrudge
16th May 2008, 14:30
Gentlemen, please! Cable/tweaking debates have their place and can be fascinating, but I was sincere when I said I wanted to avoid this kind of debate.

Many thanks to everyone who has responded - you've given me much food for thought.

Now come on, guys, group hug - whaddaya say? :D

Baudrillard
16th May 2008, 14:33
How about this:

Actually the main source of reason on the subject has been lying on beaches and diving with exotic marine life - spending the money some misguided nut jobs might reserve for connecting up their inadequate hifis. It's called having a life ;)

YNMOAN
16th May 2008, 14:39
hi ...

Thats not to say 'don't try solid core cable' - do so if you would like to, don't be aswayed by me.

I'm simply saying that booming bass is IME likely to be caused by one of the above reasons.

All the best,

Chris

I couldn't agree with you more Chris - in fact, I was just about to write the exact same thing; no need to as you have done it for me ;) I don't believe in the multistrand, copper, boomy bass idea either. However, I've seen enough pics of peoples systems to know that a LOT of people have their speakers too close to the wall, or corner, or large piece of furnitue (or all of them).

cooky1257
16th May 2008, 14:49
Why do I feel a debate coming on??

:(

"I personally think it's 'mostly' BS"

at least you state it as an opinion, rather than fact........

"prices charged for shelves or little cones "

...actually big cones are far better ;)

Just google for vibrations+lab equipment to observe that microphony is a big subject affecting science kit as well as audio equipment.

"if it makes you happy then it's right for you."

...perhpts I am being a little sensitive but doesn't this sound a little patronising? :)

fwiw the gains I've made experimenting with cones and iso platforms (at little cost) have indeed made me very happy.

Power of pursuasion?

No, I don't think so. YOu can loose as easily as you can gain....and you soon know which it is. When you here an instrument you know you've never heared before you are pretty sure you've gained.

IMO of course.

;)

No patronising intended-some like blondes some brunettes whatever floats your boat was my sentiment and I was acknowledging the fact perceived changes are often personal and far from consistent when subject to group appraisal.
I also said some treatments may affect your kits performance-digi cables are a real eye opener in this regard imo.
The later post regarding 'home grown' tweeks is a good one-as it involves far less of your hard earned.
Spend yer money however you wish it's up to you.
But just because some members are no longer here hardly heralds a new orthodoxy re this particular debate;-)

DavidF
16th May 2008, 16:29
How about this:

as cooky says so elonquently....

"some like blondes some brunettes whatever floats your boat "

Gentlemen, please! Cable/tweaking debates have their place and can be fascinating, but I was sincere when I said I wanted to avoid this kind of debate.

Many thanks to everyone who has responded - you've given me much food for thought.

Now come on, guys, group hug - whaddaya say? :D

oh, man, this is TAME to whats been before.....

I wish I could experience a day in the life of some of you guys. It must be fascinating for all these repetitive discussions to keep popping up.

Yes, I know, I should be doing my Polish lessons right now....

I did actually nearly fall off my seat laughing when I read this.

hifinutt
16th May 2008, 20:19
nice to see such a polite discusion on cables, quite rare these days!! can i put in a plug for the humble chord oddysey , relatively cheap and plenty s/h. good full blooded sound [imho]

nando
16th May 2008, 21:33
If I May Sujest Supra Will Go Downw Well,
Nando

sq225917
17th May 2008, 02:04
no cable will cure boomy bass, not unless it has electronics in it that cuts the level or some passive compensation network, both of which would need to be specifically 'tuned' to your exact set up.

Silver, copper, it makes no difference. bass boom is a speaker and room interaction issue, unless you listen to a lot of vinyl then it might be feedback.

It could be your amps are just uncontrolled on the bottom end or your speakers particularly wayward, but most likely its big ass speakers in a smaller room exciting room nodes.

move your speakers, do it systematically, along the wdith and length axis of the room, then when you think you have it right, toe them in to your seat.

and only once you have that right should you think about the icing on the cake of different cables.

I happen to use Pete's silver ribbon cable myself, and i would never dream of fixing something so obviously acoustic in nature with speaker wire, as it just doesn't work.

YNMOAN
17th May 2008, 08:37
Yup

thrudge
17th May 2008, 09:48
most likely its big ass speakers in a smaller room exciting room nodes.

Cheers, I think you and Bottleneck are on to something here. I suspect I wasn't getting boom with the silver wires because I wasn't really getting much bass.

I'm going to get new speaker cable anyway, because my current cable doesn't allow me to use my new MIT cable toys :D Rearranging the room is a nightmare I may just have to face....

DavidF
17th May 2008, 10:06
Rearranging the room is a nightmare I may just have to face....

Its usually not a big a job as it looks and you CAN put everything back again if you don't like it.

sq225917
17th May 2008, 16:33
you'd be getting exactly the same bass with silver wire unless it was much thinner than your copper, there is no difference of this nature between conductor metals, only a differnece in the much larger context of bulk cable geometry.

a thin wire will limit signial flow by a small amount, and if it does then the wire, regardless of what it is made of, is just too thin.

tuga
18th May 2008, 19:48
Pure copper Coaxial TV cable.

Just remove the outer shell and conductive mesh, bind them with paper tape and you're off to a punchy sound...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=SPEC&ModuleNo=9512&doy=18m5#spec

monya
19th May 2008, 17:21
you'd be getting exactly the same bass with silver wire unless it was much thinner than your copper, there is no difference of this nature between conductor metals, only a differnece in the much larger context of bulk cable geometry.

a thin wire will limit signial flow by a small amount, and if it does then the wire, regardless of what it is made of, is just too thin.

I'm using Slinkylinks bi-wire very effectively in my system. This is solid silver, about the thickness of a hair. There are 16 of them in bi-wire configuration. I don't know what effect they have on signal flow, but I believe they have very low inductance and capacitance but high resistance.

shrink
19th May 2008, 17:32
i have only one cable recommendation

Kimber 8TC

its simply the most sensible, honest and eve handed performer ive come across, for reasonable money. Throwing more cash at cable, doesnt really gain you an awfull lot over the 8TC and spending less, you can hear where the losses are.

I only have two levels of cabling, £2 a metre gale stuff from richer sounds, that works well with almost anything, and then the 8TC which does everything the gale does, but a bit better.

Never found a need to venture outside these two, as every time i do, i end up very disappointed. VDH, Chord and Nordost are three perfect examples of times i tried to deviate from pure copper was was sadly disappointed. The VDH was so bland i couldnt be bothered to listen, and the chord cables were all so brash i couldn't bear to listen. That includes their rumour, odyssey and signature speaker cable as well as their silver siren, chorus and signature interconnects. Suffice to say, i wont touch chord ever again

O'Shag
20th May 2008, 09:50
Two excellent choices are the Townshend Isolda DCT as has been mentioned before. For speaker cable, you'd be hard pressed to beat QED Genesis Silver Spiral for the money they go for on the used market. My primary cables are Transparent MusicWave / Musiclink Ultra speaker cable and interconnects. If you can find the Genesis Silver spiral second hand it is a good value - it will deliver excellent performance for the money. The Kimber is nice also.

Neil
20th May 2008, 23:17
As I mentioned before - try Kimber (I know... I know.....) As Shrink said 8TC is fab but I'd give 4 TC a go - if you want more bass go for 8TC but I feel 4TC sells a lot for a good reason.......

kt66
21st May 2008, 14:26
Cheers Bottleneck, no offence taken at all and thank you for the advice. You could well be right. Unfortunately, the speakers pretty much have to sit where they are (the huge fat feckers) and so do I, unless I completely rearranged the whole room - which is feasible but would be seriously inconvenient in lots of other ways.

agree totally and if you need to use a cable to EQ the system then there's something wrong with the system.

btw I use Towsnhend Isolda and it sounds detailed but neutral. I am also the last person on the planet who still likes the Nordost sound.

defride
22nd May 2008, 13:19
I've just ordered Anti-cables ( google it ) from the US - on recomendation of a guy who replaced Chord Signature with them and the tonnes of positive feedback / good reviews out of the US. The system I heard them in sounded great, not that there was an opportunity for comparison. 10 bucks a foot pair terminated with spades. Worth a crack.

shrink
22nd May 2008, 13:34
agree totally and if you need to use a cable to EQ the system then there's something wrong with the system.

btw I use Towsnhend Isolda and it sounds detailed but neutral. I am also the last person on the planet who still likes the Nordost sound.

i am surprised you like both, as the isolda is definitely not neutral. Its a cable i love a great deal, but its definately on the warmer and darker side of things. the treble is a touch muted and the bass is very strong. Great sounding, but neutral it aint. nordost is almost the exact opposite. Tipped up high's, crisp midband and on the lower end products, quite lean bass.

Even on the top end nordost, i would never describe the bass as "muscular"

so its odd to find you enjoy both, when sonically they are almost at complete opposites.

thrudge
23rd May 2008, 09:45
Well, I went ahead and ordered some solid-core speaker cable from Origin Live. Only £6.60 per metre and you can send it back for a refund if you don't like it.

This stuff is, frankly, a complete b*stard to fit. It's as thick as hosepipe, heavy as lead, and about as flexible as a frozen snake. Fitting the bare ends onto the teeny tiny terminals on the back of my speakers (2 out of 10, Mr Klipsch - see me) was a nightmare. It took the best part of an hour and a lot of swearing to get the damn things connected.

It was, however, worth it - Messrs Zanash and Colin2040, please take a bow. Solid-core is indeed the way to go. Compared to my old cable, I'm now getting more clarity and better soundstaging. It's not a huge 'night and day my god I've had a religious experience' kind of difference but it's certainly there and it's all good. Best of all, though, the BOOM has gone. Bass now sounds full and controlled and defined with none of that 78 stone wobble I was getting.

My best (admittedly ignorant) guess is that the old Chord Flatline stuff was simply not well balanced, with a decided bias towards the bass. Anyway, I am now a very happy bunny :JPS:.

BTW, re comments on speaker/room interaction causing boom, I heard this the other night on a mates setup. He'd moved his speakers to accomodate new furniture and turned a lovely sound into a big boomy disjointed mess. Fiddling with different cables did nothing at all to alter this, but fiddling with speaker placement and stuffing the ports with socks sorted it out a treat.

So, thank you to everyone who posted, and in particular to those who pointed me at solid-core cable and speaker placement. It's another winner from the gentlemen of ZG :)

mr cat
23rd May 2008, 10:23
Well, I went ahead and ordered some solid-core speaker cable from Origin Live. Only £6.60 per metre and you can send it back for a refund if you don't like it.

This stuff is, frankly, a complete b*stard to fit. It's as thick as hosepipe, heavy as lead, and about as flexible as a frozen snake. Fitting the bare ends onto the teeny tiny terminals on the back of my speakers (2 out of 10, Mr Klipsch - see me) was a nightmare. It took the best part of an hour and a lot of swearing to get the damn things connected.

It was, however, worth it - Messrs Zanash and Colin2040, please take a bow. Solid-core is indeed the way to go. Compared to my old cable, I'm now getting more clarity and better soundstaging. It's not a huge 'night and day my god I've had a religious experience' kind of difference but it's certainly there and it's all good. Best of all, though, the BOOM has gone. Bass now sounds full and controlled and defined with none of that 78 stone wobble I was getting.

My best (admittedly ignorant) guess is that the old Chord Flatline stuff was simply not well balanced, with a decided bias towards the bass. Anyway, I am now a very happy bunny :JPS:.

BTW, re comments on speaker/room interaction causing boom, I heard this the other night on a mates setup. He'd moved his speakers to accomodate new furniture and turned a lovely sound into a big boomy disjointed mess. Fiddling with different cables did nothing at all to alter this, but fiddling with speaker placement and stuffing the ports with socks sorted it out a treat.

So, thank you to everyone who posted, and in particular to those who pointed me at solid-core cable and speaker placement. It's another winner from the gentlemen of ZG :)

nice one - you got a link..?

cheers

edit - found it...
http://www.interconnect-cables.com/solicore-cable.htm

you got any pics..? :)

Pure_Carbon
23rd May 2008, 11:04
I've sold all my Van Den Hul & Chord interconnects and speaker cables and am using these guys in the USA now.
http://www.ultimatecables.com

I've been running them in for about a month now and they just keep getting better !
Build quality is excellent , the speaker cables are about 18mm thick and beautifully finished too!
Shipped from Canada, loads of great French Canadian newspaper used for packing, fun reading if you speak good French !
Not expensive either.

DavidF
23rd May 2008, 11:41
. It's another winner from the gentlemen of ZG :)

Careful, careful, you're not allowed to say that thesed days ;)

.....sorry, only kidding.

:D

thrudge
23rd May 2008, 12:30
nice one - you got a link..?

cheers

edit - found it...
http://www.interconnect-cables.com/solicore-cable.htm

you got any pics..? :)

No pics, I'm afraid. I could try, but given my very ropey camera skills and the short gap between the wall and the rear of the speakers, I'm not sure it would be worth looking at. Might have a go tonight, though, if I can stay sober long enough - they've got Oakham's Inferno on in my local. Mmm.....:D

Colin2040
23rd May 2008, 12:56
Glad you like the Origin Live I did say it was a bit of a b****rd to fit ,trust me I had fun with it as well.Bit like wrestling a python.
But well worthwhile.

mr cat
23rd May 2008, 13:11
No pics, I'm afraid. I could try, but given my very ropey camera skills and the short gap between the wall and the rear of the speakers, I'm not sure it would be worth looking at. Might have a go tonight, though, if I can stay sober long enough - they've got Oakham's Inferno on in my local. Mmm.....:D

ok - no probs..! can you describe what it looks like tho :rolleyes: :D - does it have a coating etc? will it be ok if it's next to other cables like popwer cables etc?
how thick is it..?

cheers!

thrudge
23rd May 2008, 13:59
ok - no probs..! can you describe what it looks like tho :rolleyes: :D - does it have a coating etc? will it be ok if it's next to other cables like popwer cables etc?
how thick is it..?

cheers!

It's 1 inch thick, give or take a tad. The sheath is thick black plastic. Inside that, there's four solid-core copper wires, two lengths of very thin multi-stranded wire coated in crimson enamel (mm, nice), and a bunch of white packing material. The thin enamelled wires aren't meant to be connected - I don't know what their purpose is and the instruction sheet just says don't connect 'em, so I didn't. The cable is supplied unterminated - OL don't do terminations to keep the cost down. Fair enough, seeing as you're probably better off with bare wire - less gubbins in the signal path, and all that.

TBH, in appearence it's a cable only it's mother could love, but it sings sweetly and deeply :D.

I've got it running past several power cables and it isn't a problem.

zanash
23rd May 2008, 16:14
Nice one .....

I suspect the thin cores alter the inductance ....?

I had the two core version many years ago ....that was mr piggy to fit

swiped a couple of ornaments off th mantlepiece and percied a tweeter [not all on the same day !]. It also broke the sprung terminals on the amp I had ....

by some accounts the company mentioned has made cables that seems to be similar to some off the shelf silver plated ptfe hook up wire......having been down that blind alley I can well understand the bloated flabby and toppy sound that silver plated multi strand can make.