PDA

You are currently viewing AudioSmile's archive. This provides a plain text version of actual threads and forums for easy access. If you would like to see the original version of any page with all links and images included, click below.

View Full Version : Welcome newcomers!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

randrew
26th February 2008, 11:50
Thought I would introduce myself and share my eclectic kit, huge mortgage and young children prevent me going to HIFI dealers and killing the credit cards, so I am on a gentle second hand upgrade path mostly trying to find little gems in the classified ads for not a lot of money.

My System (s)

Main

Dual CS505 -1
Nagaoka MP11 Cartridge
Marantz CD 63
Arcam Black Box 1
Technics SU - A900 MkII
Castle Eden Speakers (Love the sound these make)
Apollo Stands
QED Speaker Cables (The Red Ones) Bi Wired
Cambridge Pacific Interconnects (Cheap Richer Sounds)
Expensive hardwood rack (bought second hand for £10) with some leak equipment, refitted with plywood shelves and granite chopping boards on spikes for Turntable and CD

Nice mellow sound generally listened to at low volumes when kids are in bed. Can be a little pedestrian on Rock.

Bedroom

Project Debut (Blue tac as anti skate and a cracked lid)
Orfton OM5
Leak Stereo 70
Leak Throughline
Technics CD SL-PG490
Mission 731i
Nondescript glass and metal rack

Quite punchy with Missions and Leak which is surprisingly good for age

Other stuff I occasionally rotate in the bedroom

Mint: Bang & Olufsen Beomaster 2400, Beogram 1700 and S45 Speakers (enough said Mrs likes it)
Huge Aiwa 9700 Tuner bought in student days deciding what to do with it
Mission M74is left over from large surround system when I was single and had a flat

Generally listen to Classical Mozart, Hayden, Vaughn Williams, and Elgar but have a penchant for indi music Stone Roses, Radio Head plus everything else in-between except Country although I like a bit of Blue Grass now and then and Jazz when I can get some good green. Looking to improve main system better Turntable and Cartridge and possibly head for some modified Quad kit which I think will match with the Castle speakers well. Might even take a foray into valve if budget allows.

DavidF
26th February 2008, 12:08
Hi

Interesting kit

Good idea having two systems.....though I don't have the room for it (or the dosh)

....also a good idea, rotating kit; on the back of my mind is keeping a lookout for hot cdplayers; I hink maybe squeeze boxes are goign to affct their value.

I'm looking for a fairy god mother because (again) dosh limits won't allow :(.

"huge mortgage and young children prevent me going to HIFI dealers and killing the credit cards, so I am on a gentle second hand upgrade path mostly trying to find little gems in the classified ads for not a lot of money."

Frankly i go please whenever I look min at my local dealers.

It guess it would be e bay for me.

randrew
26th February 2008, 13:44
Hi

Interesting kit

Good idea having two systems.....though I don't have the room for it (or the dosh)

....also a good idea, rotating kit; on the back of my mind is keeping a lookout for hot cdplayers; I hink maybe squeeze boxes are goign to affct their value.

I'm looking for a fairy god mother because (again) dosh limits won't allow :(.

"huge mortgage and young children prevent me going to HIFI dealers and killing the credit cards, so I am on a gentle second hand upgrade path mostly trying to find little gems in the classified ads for not a lot of money."

It guess it would be e bay for me.

I find the Bay can be expensive for purchases, but there is a lot of decent and rubbish Kit in the free sheets I tend to buy based on quality and if I like it I keep it, if I don't I flog it on e-bay making a few quid for my next purchase. This is a self funding hobby so to speak. I know little about SqBox but am about to build a PC music server through a DAC with my old desktop, just need to drop a large HD. Plan to run it into a small lCD on hanging on the wall with cordless mouse/remote. Fans are a noisy nusiance but we have a small storage cupboard in the living room I can tuck it into, no plans to stream at this point will leave that as stage 2 of the project.

la toilette
26th February 2008, 18:40

Eh?

DavidF
26th February 2008, 18:48
Eh?

Frankly I go pale when I look in at my local dealersI think is what I intended LT ...

I didn't sleep last night.....

:o :rolleyes:

The fact that I tipped a can of baked beans over my keyboard the other day may also be a contributary factor.

:D

mickm
26th February 2008, 19:39
hi , im new to the forum , my current system is nuforce refrence 9v2 monos , ran directly from a quad 99cdp , speakers are proac responce 2s on target 2 stands cables are mit 750 shotgun speaker cables and dynaflux ensemble ic , all mains cables are vdh mainstream fed from a seperate 3 way mains spur , currently listerning to the , red house painters , hobotalk , and the baithers ,

O'Shag
4th March 2008, 05:35
Hiya. The name's O'Shag. I am an englishman but emmigrated to the US - Los Angeles - back in the 80's. Los Angeles has never been the same since.

I enjoy building hifi systems and love good music no matter what the genre.

My system includes the following:
Speakers; KEF Reference 109 The Maidstone, KEF Reference 107, Monitor Audio Gold Reference 60, Mission 767 (Mission's top flagship from the late 90's), Polk Audio RT3000p (CS1000p powered center channel, FX/1000 bipole/dipole surrounds, Speaker Cables - Transparent MusicWave Ultra, QED Genesis Silver Spiral.

Preamp; MFA MC Reference Prototype - this unit (one of three) is the best Scott Frankland built , Spectron Model 10, Audio Research SP6E, Carver C4000T

Amp; Audio Research Classic 150 monoblocks, Classic 120 monoblocks, Mark Levinson No. 27 (two of them), Spectron 1KW Class D amp

Source - Vinyl: Musical Fidelity M1 turntable w/ SME M2 and Alphason HR100S tonearms, Dynavector Karat 17D2 cartridge, Alesis ML-9600 modified by Balanced Power Technologies to Signature Plus level and used to covert Vinyl to CD.

Source Digital: Musical Fidelity Trivista DAC 21 modified by Parts Connexion (Chris Johnson of Sonic Frontiers) Level 2, Denon 3910 as transport, California Audio Labs Delta Transport, California Audio Labs Tempest II CD Player

Home Theatre: TV; Sony KDS-R70XBR2 70" SXRD RPTV, Loewe Aconda 40" tube TV, Yamaha RX-Z9 Surround Processor, DVDO HD+ Scaler, Sony DVP-NS9000ES DVD player, VIP722 Dish Network DVR

Interconnects; Transparent Musiclink Ultra, Purist Audio

(

john dolan
20th March 2008, 18:56
Just joined and thought id say hi guys.Im dik dolans big bro.My system is mostly Cyrus and with Garrard 401 for when i want to hear real music.

jcbrum
22nd March 2008, 19:08
Hello everyone,

I only use two sources, a garrard 301, usually with 78's, and a digital library on a MacBook Pro, with all sorts of music on it.

The Mac doubles as my tuner for internet radio.

Current kit is AVI active speakers with built in Wolfson DAC, fed by optical signal from an Airport Express, listening to my library being wirelessly broadcast over my home network from my laptop.

I started real hifi in the sixties with Quad II and have had a lot of stuff since then.

Tenson
22nd March 2008, 19:34
Ahhhhhhhh, hes arrived! ;)

jcbrum
22nd March 2008, 22:48
Ahhhhhhhh, hes arrived! ;)

Sshhhh ! I'm alone and come in peace ! :)

PaulTheOtherOne
28th March 2008, 15:01
Hullo,

Newbie to this site so thought best to say hi :)

My kit is:
Gyro SE/Origin Live RB250/Goldring 1042.
NAD CS660 CD/CD recorder.
Roku Soundbridge.
Leak Stereofetic tuner.
Creek 5350SE amp.
Creek OBH8SE phono amp.
Chord speaker and interconnect cable.
Big meaty home-brew speakers using Decca drivers.

Into pretty much anything musically :)

Paul.

DavidF
28th March 2008, 15:31
Hello and welcome!

Looks good!

:)

Papa Lazarou
28th March 2008, 15:57
My kit:

Michell Gyrodec (upgraded with full Gert Pedersen mods)
Michell HR (never connected) PSU
SME V (rewired with VDH MCS150)
Kondo KSL-Vz tonearm leadout
Shelter 901 Low-output moving coil
Living Voice T2 MC step-up
Audio Innovations P1
Esoteric X-03SE
Karan Acoustics KA I 180
Wilson Benesch Arcs (on dedicated stands)
Stax 4040 II Signature headphone rig
Kondo KSL-Vz RCA cables
Kondo KSL-SPc speaker cables
Coherent Systems Powermaster 2 and mains cables
Quadraspire QK Hi-fi rack (Light Oak)
Quadraspire Q4 Turntable wall shelf (Light Oak)

sandgrownun
28th March 2008, 16:30
...and welcome to ZeroGain, Papa!

Dev
28th March 2008, 16:36
...and welcome to ZeroGain, Papa!

"Papa" joined before you :D.

sandgrownun
28th March 2008, 17:42
"Papa" joined before you :D.

Absolutely, but he welcomed me yesterday, I'm welcoming him today :D.

monya
30th March 2008, 19:35
Evnin' all. My first post with a kit rundown:
turntable: not really
cd: nagra cdc (retirement present to me)
amp: dartzeel nhb 108 (another one)
speakers dali ms4
interconnect cd-amp: acoustic zen
speaker cable: slinkylinks bi-wire
extension block: lat
rack: finite elemente

that's it. nothing else.
might have to do something with the speakers cos the room isn't really big enough and I have my back to the wall so get some bass standing waves slowing things down sometimes, not helped by a suspended floor with carpet. All fun innit?

Corky
30th March 2008, 23:54
Hi :)
Well, I'm new here so introductions seem in order!

My first LP was The Blue Fifties, various artists, and I still have it (blimey, is it really almost 40-years later :cool:). The first one I bought for myself was Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull. Now my collection covers vinyl and CD and isn't as big as I would like but includes things from Bach to Wagner, Aretha to Zeppelin and Ali Farka Toure to Bill Watrous... OK, had to mess with names to make the alphabet stretch but you get my drift :D

Miles Davis might be the single most represented artist in there, though I have lots of trombone stuff in the jazz section...

Most recent 'moment' was tonight, listening to (recently arrived) Saint Saens Organ Symphony on EMI TWO 404 - one that I have some history with and did have once a long time ago but lost -, and the excellent Quiex 200gram Quadrophenia. oh, AND the Sam Burtis-led '93 Mingus Band running riot with Moanin... fantastic! - and MILES better than the Mingus band we saw at Ronnie Scott's a few years ago :JPS:

I can be an enthusiastic chatterer and can loose sight of the unfortunate reality that I don't know (or sometimes care, really :)) what I'm talking about. I am and will be though, always grateful for guidance and pointers wherever you care to offer them.

So Hi :)

DavidF
31st March 2008, 00:10
Hi to both,.

"Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull"

That takes me back.

My brother had a tape back in the late 70s, when we shared a room. Must get it again some time.

Inteesting kit both newbies.

(its a long way to Yrokshire from Buckinghamshire??)

Corky
31st March 2008, 00:15
Hi to both,.

"Thick as a Brick, Jethro Tull"

That takes me back.

My brother had a tape back in the late 70s, when we shared a room. Must get it again some time.

Inteesting kit both newbies.

(its a long way to Yrokshire from Buckinghamshire??)

and yes - Yorkshire is a far from here - especially as I do the trip on a motorcycle, :banghead:

rhmbus
20th April 2008, 13:55
hello one and all new to your forum nice to be on ZG
ray

Corky
20th April 2008, 17:51
hello one and all new to your forum nice to be on ZG
ray

Hiya Ray; I'm a newbie too, been here a few weeks. So get yer post count up with some talk of your favourite recordings and about your gear, etc :D

Steve

dos
28th April 2008, 09:22
Haven't done this so I thought I would!

turntable: Rega planar 3 with Dynavector 10x5 (+ motor upgrade & origin live arm mod)
cdp: Meridian 206b
amp: Rotel ra-04
speakers: Rega Ela Mk1 (that have totally taken over the room)

Not sure where to go next, any help really, really appreciated!

Corky
28th April 2008, 12:54
Haven't done this so I thought I would!

turntable: Rega planar 3 with Dynavector 10x5 (+ motor upgrade & origin live arm mod)
cdp: Meridian 206b
amp: Rotel ra-04

Not sure where to go next, any help really, really appreciated!

I saw some of your posts from early March and it seems like you're already exploring a change to your amp DOS?

I knew that the weakness in my system was my circa 1985 Cyrus 2 with PSX but knew as I feel you do, that to move on from there is a pretty big leap and takes some funding.

I decided I wanted the (relatively) vintage/warm sound of Quad 303 and bought a s/h pair to run as monoblocks bi-wired into my Rogers LS7t speakers - the part of my system that I felt would benefit from being run by something more in keeping with their design and build heritage. Thing is, by the time I bought those, chose a modern pre and got the necessary phono stage to supplement the modern pre as it didn't have one, I was £1,160 the poorer. And I still have to gather up a few hundred for the Quads to be overhauled and have improved terminals, etc.

I'd saved the money over a 2-year period and my system took a huge leap so in no way do I regret it. I spent almost £600 on my ASTINtrew pre and it's fab but I wanted it for its valve/solid state design and an additional 'out' that allows me to run my REL sub base straight from there - which it does. Without that though, I could have done with a simpler (and therefore less costly) pre.

Since then, I had to make a 'distress purchase' of new cartridge so, rather than do a temporary fix, I decided to make a jump up from my Goldring 1042. With some help from my dealer - Artisan in Stoke Poges - I chose a Dynacvector 17D3, which allows me to run the phono I have to maximum synergistic benefit. That's almost another £600 though...

So my amps were the weak link and now I'm chuffed to bits but it'll probably be July before my credit score recovers!

I feel that that is the difficulty with good performing budget gear - the leap from there to something worth upgrading to is a pretty big one.

The same is true of my tt - an old Thorens with a Rega 300 added a few years ago. To make a worthwhile (and/or noticeable) leap from there, my dealer reflected only last week, means an investment of around £2,000.

Having said all of the above, the last three or four years has seen me buy a s/h REL Storm III sub base - brilliant addition - and later an Isotek Substation mains conditioner with 6 outlets. Of those 2 additions, bought more in curiosity than anything, the Isotek made the greatest difference and I'd hate to have to let that go. I already have a clean supply for my hi fi but the Isotek removed muddle, allowed the multi-layer nature of recordings to reveal their intricacies, improved tonal/timbre qualities (that happen to be important to me), improved sound stage (though my listening room is almost a cube, so there are limits :D). My partner immediately noticed the difference that addition made and she's not given to noticing stuff that she thinks I'm imagining :D

I paid £350 for the Substation but I bought quality Isotek mains cables for other components at the same time, taking total cost up to about £550. They didn't then make much difference though, so that's £200 I could have saved :( Isoteks don't come up s/h too often but if you can borrow one to try in your system you might find it makes enough difference to make other upgrades unnecessary for another year or so while you gather some further funds. Or you might think "what's this bloke on about, I can't hear a thing".

My experience.

Hope it helps :)

dos
28th April 2008, 13:25
I feel that that is the difficulty with good performing budget gear - the leap from there to something worth upgrading to is a pretty big one.

Thanks Corky, I think you've just hit the nail on the head! I think I've been casting around for improvements based on little money outlay, I guess I need to save up and aim bigger in a year or two (depending on how the mortgage goes). I am however, really enjoying the meridian (ancient that it is) - this really is an improvement on my old rotel cdp.

Corky
28th April 2008, 23:04
Thanks Corky, I think you've just hit the nail on the head! I think I've been casting around for improvements based on little money outlay, I guess I need to save up and aim bigger in a year or two (depending on how the mortgage goes). I am however, really enjoying the meridian (ancient that it is) - this really is an improvement on my old rotel cdp.

It kind of took me by surpise. Actually, around £1200 to move ahead from Cyrus 2 with PSX (in my case) wasn't so bad if I accept that they were a £1,000 combination. My trouble is that I still saw them as a sub £500 combo, which is what they were when I bought them :)

Darned inflation...

Good luck with the mortgage

walkerwek1958
8th May 2008, 00:26
Just got a renewed burst of enthusiasm for hi-fi stuff last week, buying an Arcam P85 power amp off eBay. Basically, I`ve owned several hi fi systems since the age of 22 (50 now) and I`ve tended to stick with a system rather than fall into the continuous upgrade trap. One trade-off for advancing years is the extra money I can afford to spend on toys, although I don`t part with it easily (Yorkshireman...enough said!). My main system is a pair of Castle Severn II speakers (superb finish, match the furniture) which I won`t change, Arcam A85/P85 amps and Alpha 9CD . This sounds good, but I am considering a better CD player in the near future. My second system (dining room and kitchen/diner) is an Arcam 7SE CD with Arcam 8R amp, plus an old Thorens turntable, serving two sets of Castle speakers . I enjoy listening to music whilst cooking so I can easily justify this system and I use the dining room for watch repairs and reading, which also provide good listening opportunities. Most of my stuff has been bought second hand or ex-demo over the last 8 years, gradually replacing old Marantz and Arcam gear. However, I couldn`t resist a third system in my computer room/study/gym (spare bedroom, really) so a few years ago I picked up a pair of Gale speakers and Arcam Alpha 7R amp from Richer sounds (£200 total) and a second hand 7SE CD from eBay for £110. Needless to say, I like Arcam and Castle stuff, but more importantly, I like music! Just wish I could get my ears upgraded because they are starting to show signs of serious overuse....can`t think why!

Corky
9th May 2008, 16:51
Just got a renewed burst of enthusiasm for hi-fi stuff last week, buying an Arcam P85 power amp off eBay....snip

Welcome! :)
I like to buy second hand when I can too - presently planning an overhaul and tweak up for my Quads :MILD:
I have a suspicion too that equipment has a 'style' of presentation that makes older stuff seem past it when it's not. Those capacitors can fade away, sure, but for me, newer is rarely better.

(and fortunately for me, that seems to be true of my partner so far too!)

HiWatt
21st May 2008, 05:39
Greetings, one & all. I've been lurking & reading lots of interesting stuff for a while now, so I thought it was time to make an appearance.:MILD:

My gear - well, it's all pretty old now (about 15 years on average, I think), and it's mostly Roksan kit (I used to be employed by them, many moons ago - I have a very early Xerxes, although it's had new bits & bobs over the years. It's currently hiding in a cupboard, waiting for me to get round to setting it up again after a recent house move.....:rolleyes:)

Main source these days is cd, although that's probably about to change with the acquisition of a Squeezebox. In fact, googling the SB is what led me here in the first place.

Speakers are old Musical Technology somethings (named after some bird of prey, I think) but the drivers have all been replaced over the years, Vifa tweeters and SEAS mid/bass in 'em now.

Toons-wise, well pretty much all sorts, really, except I don't do classical or jazz, TBH. My loss, probably.

If I take the pile of discs currently sitting next to the player as a representative sample, you get:
Echo & the Bunnymen - Crocodiles
Kruder & Dormeister - G-stone book
International Observer - All played out
The Mars Volta - Amputechture
Paul Rogers - Muddy Water Blues
Trapeze - You are the music, we're just the band
Philadelphia Jerry Ricks - Deep in the Well
Misty in Roots - Roots Controller
David Gilmour - David Gilmour

....get the idea? :D

Also, I have tinnitus, as a result of too much exposure to Jim Marshall's finest products in my largely miss-spent youth. The main down-side to this is that I get a horrible 'resonance' in my ears at certain frequencies if things get too loud, so that's spoiled my listening pleasure somewhat, but hey ho - so if there are any kiddies watching - turn the bloody thing down NOW, or you'll end up like me...

Anyway, looking forward to more reading pleasure - see you around the forum somewhere!

Cheers. :D

defride
22nd May 2008, 14:00
Came across ZG via the classifieds, pleased to have done so and posted a couple of times. Thought I should make intoductions - my system. Recently upgraded:

Wadia 301 on Nordost Pulsar Points and an Audiophile Base

Chapter Audio 2 power amp on an Audiophile Base I know I know it has the same isolation built in - I had one already and it sounds better to me.

Sonus Faber Grand Piano on Ringmat cones, much better than the Granite plinths they came with.

Soon to be connected with Anti-cables - had been QED SS & XT350. An interim pair of Gotham Balanced XLRs has finally banished the slight hum I've lived with in all my systems over the last few years.

Mains is all True Colours

Quadraspire rack - its better than the floor but the components on Audiophile Bases stacked on top of each other on a chest of draws sounded better than the rack on its own - a happy moving accident!

Sounds awesome, yet to come across a CD that sounds insipid as many have in the past. Each to there own!

RAK44
1st June 2008, 18:54
Hi been out of Hi-Fi for a while after working in a second hand Hi- Fi shop I needed a break,havn't red a Hi-Fi mag.in some five years so am a bit behind the times.
Anyway I broke the stylus on my Goldbug last night and started surfing to see if I could find a new cartridge and found this excellent site.
System at the moment is Michel Orbe,Rega RB250(unmodified)and above mentioned Goldbug Mrs.Brier,into a Dino.
Naim CDX.that is starting to jump sporadically so I'm useing an Audio Alchemy ACD11 through a Musical Fidelity X10-D
LFD LS2 and PA2 or an EAR859 can't decide witch I prefer,and will probably have to sell the EAR to fund the new cartridge.
Finally sat on the end Pro-Ac Super Towers.
Just thought I would say hello.:)

Corky
2nd June 2008, 17:42
Hi been out of Hi-Fi for a while after working in a second hand Hi- Fi shop I needed a break,havn't red a Hi-Fi mag.in some five years so am a bit behind the times.
Anyway I broke the stylus on my Goldbug last night and started surfing to see if I could find a new cartridge and found this excellent site.
System at the moment is Michel Orbe,Rega RB250(unmodified)and above mentioned Goldbug Mrs.Brier,into a Dino.
Naim CDX.that is starting to jump sporadically so I'm useing an Audio Alchemy ACD11 through a Musical Fidelity X10-D
LFD LS2 and PA2 or an EAR859 can't decide witch I prefer,and will probably have to sell the EAR to fund the new cartridge.
Finally sat on the end Pro-Ac Super Towers.
Just thought I would say hello.:)

Hello! :)
Interesting what changes breaking my stylus brought about in my system...

still ongoing as changing phono cables made a marked difference so I'm now investigating a rewire with matching cables from arm to phono and phono to pre

When I can gather up some more pennies that is :D

Corky
2nd June 2008, 18:36
...snip

Also, I have tinnitus, as a result of too much exposure to Jim Marshall's finest products in my largely miss-spent youth. The main down-side to this is that I get a horrible 'resonance' in my ears at certain frequencies if things get too loud, so that's spoiled my listening pleasure somewhat, but hey ho - so if there are any kiddies watching - turn the bloody thing down NOW, or you'll end up like me...

Anyway, looking forward to more reading pleasure - see you around the forum somewhere!

Cheers. :DHello HiWatt - good name for a man with tinnitus!

Don't know if you've looked into Tinnex - I think 'cure' if there is such a thing... for about 20% of cases the last time I looked and environmental damage is well indicated. Maybe worth a look?

D Louth 77
21st June 2008, 12:52
Hi guys ,Ive been a member for a few days now and you can see my system in the section for that .

Tears run down my checks at the death of a Goldbug Cartridge,i will put on a black arm band for your loss RAK44. The Mr and Mrs Briar are legendary and not easy to replace ,most people use until the cantilever can take no more re-tips . If you haven't re-tipped maybe Len Gregory/A J Van Den Hull might be able to help(will depend on how much has gone wrong ).

I know several owners ,none will sell to me..... If you loose the tiny mounting screws that can be a problem too.

Some of your kit as you say is old but that's not always a bad thing as it can mean classic(such as your Pro-ac's). I still own a set of Super Tablets (i don't use them much any more) but there was something brilliant about the Pro-ac sound back then which i loved and still do . They also worked well on the end of 30 watt class a valve amps (i used an Audio innovations S 500 then).

Anyway thought i would just say sorry for your loss. D Louth 77

robM
21st June 2008, 21:20
Hi All

I've been a forum member for a few years but never really did anything until now as I've recently retired but still young and able. Recently (2007) ran into a lump sum so am now chilling out until I find something to put my other teeth into.
I've worked in the music recording field for a few years helped design, voice a few pro products. Worked in a camera shop for a stint...really to get cheap camera gear. now own a Leica M6TTL, M7 and a couple of summicrons. Love film cameras. I am part of the anti-digital brigade (ADB) in California. How I became a member, I don't know ?!?

My three systems are pretty much vinyl based.

system 1. VPI HRX, TriPlanar, ZYX Universe(4D), Klyne 7 phono stage, LAMM L2 preamp, ATC SCM150 Active. Marantz CD player that cost £300 second hand. Not a CD fan. A good friend has a Wadia 860 with all the new bells and whistles and it sounds pretty 1 dimensional.

system 2. VPI Scout Master, SDS, Dynavector XV1, Whest PS.30R (burning in), Ayre K-5x preamp, ATC 50SL (2002) active, another one of those marantz CD players.

system 3. (office) recently changed to:
Rega P3 AT33PTG, whestTWO (will change to PS.30), Ayre AX-7e, Acoustic Energy AE1 Mk3 on Mk1 stands.

Racking all made by a local carpenter. It works for the style of the house.

I live in Central London which sounds pretty naff, but that's where I live and I like it.

pete693
4th August 2008, 17:25
Hope this is the right place to post but just wanted to say hello.
The kit I use is as follows.
Quad 11 Jubilee main ,Quad 66 Pre, Thorens TD160 Super deck with SME 3009 series 11 improved and Orthofon MC10 Mk2,a Marantz C.D. and a pair of Tannoy DC386 (15") Golds in Berkley 11 cabinets.Technically not sure how this rates as a system but I really like the sound and it can shake the walls when my Wife goes out!

robM
4th August 2008, 19:05
Update:

Main System changes: HRX/Rim drive/ Triplanar

Office system now...

Thorens TD125 Mk2/ Zeta tonearm/ Koetsu Rosewood Sig, Whest PS.30R phonostage, Ayra AX-7e, Acoustic Energy AE1 MK3
(haven't yet decided on turntable mat)

carabeeno
12th August 2008, 20:53
Grew up with my dad listening on headphones to some Falklands twit on shortwave surrounded by a roomful of valve test gear for tvs and radios (where's that 'geezer' icon?:)).

Had my first component set at 18 (Garrard table, U.S. Knight-kit SS integrated and Knight 10inch 3-ways). Got bigger and bigger stuff during next ten years, culminating in 1976 with an active bi-amped system with Cerwin-Vega 18 inch downward-firing subs driven through a Pioneer active crossover by Phase Linear 400 power amps, Soundcraftsmen EQ/Preamp, Technics SL1350 table and TEAC A450 cassette deck (where's that ears-on-fire icon?).

In the hifi biz now a long time, retail for 25 years and wholesale for 5. Biggest influence on my listening to hifi was 'following the tune' via Linn, but have switched around since then (emphasis on foot-tapping though).

Current system all digital - dCS Puccini as CD/digital preamp with Arcam DV139 DVD and satellite TV box sources, through Arcam P1 monoblocks driving Piega TP 7 tower 6 driver 3-ways. All Nordost cables (love them). Miles Davis, Cannonball and Coltrane finally sound like they are alive and playing in my living room, so I am happy (who knows, might change next week). Also love Brahms, Mahler, Rimsky-Korsakov, Sibelius in the winter, and lots of pop, Van Morrison, Roy Orbison, Patsy Kline, Fiona Apple, Bjork. Rolling Stones, Bruce Cockburn, Thomas Dolby and so on. I can't find the time to listen enough!

smartiepants
6th September 2008, 13:10
Hi Guys,
Just joined the forum & like to say Hello
been enjoying HiFi for many years & have listed my "gear" below
not really tech minded but I think I know what sounds good!!
unfortunatly like many people life is very hectic & most of the music I listen to is via I pod which has plus points is easy to use & makes a lot of music accessable at all times, but recently I had an hour in the loft looking for something unrelated but got distracted when I came across one of my many boxes of vinyl & started to reminisce back to the good old days & began thinking to some this is still the good old days & vinyl is still going strong, so currently I am searching for a Budget Turntable & have joined this group for A little inspiration & knowledge & go back to listening to music properly ;)

HIFI
Copland CDA266 CD player
Copland CSA8 amp
Kef reference 2 speakers

HOME CINEMA
Infocus IN82,
6ft electric screen,
Harman Kardon DVD25,
Harman Kardon 4450 AV amp,
Humax Freesat HD box
Toshiba HD DVD EP30
M & K K7 speakers across the front
M & K K4 tripole rears
Yamaha sub (weak link but saving for a rel)
QED Silver Anniversary cables all round

all in my dedicated "DEN"

jammy
28th September 2008, 21:58
Hi there folks,

Just registered and this is my first post, so please bear with me.

( DYSLXICK )

Just bought a hi fi mag at the weekend ( nowt new about that )
But the reviewers seem to think that us punters on the street
are minted - one harked on about the glorious sound of the
SME 30/2A 14,000. !!!
another harked on about his GRYPHON amp 22,000.!!!
another KOAT-SU signature 2,100 (second hand bargain) !!!!!!!!
another KIMBER 12,000 speaker cable. !!!!
another...........
another...........
another...........

Ive 2 words for the reviewers - GET FUCKIN REAL.

I challenge any anyone to beet the system i have.............
(never mind any blind listening tests)

ORIGIN LIVE RESOLUTION CLASSIC TURNTABLE.
ORIGIN LIVE SILVER MK 2 ARM.
RHONDA BRONZE CARTRIGE.
ROTHWELL AUDIO PASSIVE PRE AMP.
GLASSHOUSE 300B POWER AMP.
ZINGALI OVERTURE MK2 SPEAKERS.

This systym cost me a fortune, blood sweet and tares - but its
still less than a set of Russ Andrews 12,000 speaker cables...!!!

Cheers - Jammy

ne

precise1234
29th September 2008, 01:07
HI -

Based in London and have Luxman 1000 series, pre-amp, amp, CD, running with Monitor Audio Gold speakers - yummy sound.
Nick

rogrog
1st October 2008, 16:52
Hello ZeroGainers.
I'm new to the forum but not that new to hifi or forums. I did not want my first post to be a cry for help or advice or me trying to sell stuff.
I'm going to lurk for a while & see what you all get up to before I dive in with my two 2p’s worth. I notice some names from another hifi forum I visit so I don't think I will be too out of place.
My interests are music, hifi & sifi. I guess you worked that one out for your self.

Till my next post see ya.

Idle wild
3rd October 2008, 15:11
Hi there, I am new to forums so bear with me. At the moment I have an MF Nu-vista M3, Teac X-03 SE, Castle Howard speakers, and a BCD engineering rack. I am in the process of replacing the M3 with an MF KW 550 which will be modified. Living in London working as a PE teacher, music wise I listen to any thing from jazz, latin music to reggae.

Colonel Parker
12th October 2008, 00:04
evening all , just registered

new to the World of HI-FI forums and this site came close to top of a Google search

current gear , although some parts are now a few years old , is -

Naim CD5x / Flatcap 2x / 122x pre / 150x power / Ariva speakers

stood on a Blok 400 stand and strung together with the standard mains & i'connect cables that came with the black boxes

Phil

Labarum
18th October 2008, 21:40
Labarum's HiFi History.

I have listened to HiFi for the last 30 odd years on Sugden and Quad kit.

I bought a Sugden A48/T48 in 1978 instead of a Quad 33/303. The Sugden drove a pair of 10" Tannoy Dual Concentrics (Cheviots?) till 20 years ago when (while in Germany) I bought a pair of Quart 980s loudspeakers which I still use in the lounge.

I bought my first CD player about the same time - a Philips CD204, if I remember correctly - and ditched the deck and the LP collection. Too much to carry around the world on army trucks!

In 1996 I bought a Quad 77 CD player and Integrated Amp and shortly afterwards the tuner. I still have that kit.

A few years later the Sugden was in use driving a pair of Goodmans' Maxims attached to the PC (with Audigy card) in the Study.

I have known for a number of years that an Audigy card would outperform the ageing Quad CD player, and I am now moving towards a FLAC streaming solution.

In the lounge I now have a Beresford DAC driving a Quad 405-2 bought on eBay and upgraded by 405man. It drives the Quart 980s tower loudspeakers which still sound extremely fine. The DAC receives input form a Virgin Media Box for TV (clearly) and radio. Cable Radio (128Kb/s at MP2?) is at least as good as the Quad tuner, although I will accept that may not be a fair comparison as the only RF input I can get to the tuner is from the cable (marginal reception area).

Presently I stream FLAC from the study PC to a rather noisy Shuttle PC behind the TV. The Shuttle runs Foobar with ASIO drivers and feeds the Beresford by optical link. The Shuttle will also stream video.

The next step is to buy a Squeezebox Classic for bitperfect streaming to the Beresford. I already have the Squeezecentre server installed in the study and Softsqueeze on the Shuttle PC - just to see how it works.

I will probably buy a netbook (an eeePC1000) to control my Squeezebox setup from the armchair, manage email and do some lazy surfing. I prefer a big screen to congested menus.

The Quad 77 Amp is now attached to the Study PC, and driving the Maxims. I will probably sell the CD player and tuner. The Sugden I sold on eBay to someone who was prepared and able to restore it. He is enjoying ownership.

If I were to abandon my Quart Loudspeakers I guess I would want to go active, but the choice is quite limited. Perhaps the market will shift in that direction, for it makes sense.

Seeker_UK
27th October 2008, 19:16
Hello there, I've just discovered this forum having recently rediscovered the (expensive) pleasures of HiFi again.

I've been buying HiFi in various forms for the last 20 years or so and currently have the following system in place at Seeker Towers:

Manticore Mantra t/table + Moth RB250 Arm + Sumiko Blue Point Special Moving Coil Cartridge

Musical Fidelity X-LP (Mk I) Phono Stage

Meridian 506.24 CD Player

Technics Tuner (It's gotta go)

Akai GX95 Mk II Cassette Deck

Neat Petite Mk II Speakers c/w Gravitas Subwoofers

Biamped with Audionote AN-D cable to

Audiolab 8000a Amplifier (Black version)

Various Monster & Chord Company interconnects

Smiffy
17th November 2008, 13:14
Hello one and all,I just thought I would announce my arrival,I like Naim gear and vinyl replay,I guess I am a semi flatearther.

Musically I like rock,prog rock,brit pop,some 80s/90s pop some 80s/90s metal,classical(not opera or choral) some jazz and trip hop.

anon

Mike.

cliffyboy
19th November 2008, 15:38
Just jumping on board for the first time in ages.

Here are my systems:

System 1:

Rega Ela MK1s (purchased direct from Derek Frost)

Exposure XI & XIV Pre-Amps

x2 Exposure IX PSUs

Exposure Dual IV Non-Reg Power Amp (Exposure XVIs due to arrive early next year)

Rega Planar 3 (un-modded RB300 & Super Elys)

x2 Technics 1210s (un-modded, stanton al500)

Exposure XIII phono stage (due to be sent to Italy)

Exposure CD Player

Sony TU5060 Tuner (wooden sides)

All Exposure speaker and interconnect cables on the amplification side of things.

Straightthru Interconnect CD source to amp.

Atacama Equinox stands

Photo (although not all is shown):

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffyboy/3042804133/

System 2:

Rega Ela MK1s

Exposure VII Dual Pre-Amp

Exposure XII PSU

Exposure Super VIII Power Amp

All exposure cables

Photo:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cliffyboy/3043643240/

Music wise. I listen and analyse mostly British Hip - Hop, Dubstep, reggae, d & B, funk, jazz, some classical, but to cover all bases, I am very open minded. One may say, why use Elas if you like bass orientated music, my answer, the Elas knock out some spectacular bass, that I so did not expect.:):):)

Glad to come on board guys.

Cliffy

peez
19th November 2008, 15:46
welcome Cliff, you have bought a lot of Exposure stuff - Stantons?

cliffyboy
19th November 2008, 16:05
welcome Cliff, you have bought a lot of Exposure stuff - Stantons?

Thanks Peez, love the exposure and having been importing and exporting it to friends and family in Italy for the last 4 years, I have managed to come across, virtually all John Farlowe era equipment, giving me a very good although reserved insight to all his products.

It has been my aim since hearing a similar system, to my system 1, that exposure was the route to take.

I am aiming to have a mix and match option in the future, but have still some exposure products to arrive, including the XVI monoblocks and another XIV and IX combo, particulary for the second system.

For now though, music and TT upgardes are my top priority as I have spent far too much on amplification over these last few years. So stantons are soon to be joining the rubbish men on friday mornings and being replaced with some Shure MG47 for my mixing purposes and a Denon DL103. All cartridges to be attached to a sumiko headshell. Arm upgarde is an option but need to hear the difference first.

peez
19th November 2008, 18:16
speak to Johhny 7 Audio Origami about sorting your existing Technics arm, and have a look at sound hi fi in devon as they are developing a new bearing for the sl, along with power supply.
Noteworthy audio are about to realease a tweaked version of the dl103 - google all of the above, they are all a good bet to discuss your needs with.
P

Nick Dartmoor
5th December 2008, 01:38
Hi! This is my first foray into the world of people who are seriously into audio, but as I seem to be one, I feel it's a good move. I've been scanning these forums for weeks, and I'm fascinated.
I've always loved, made and recorded music. Apart from studio kit, I've never owned any really decent audio equipment till recently (apart from an old pair of ARC 101s which seemed pretty nice) as I thought it was all beyond my budget. Finally getting into Ebay, I recently acquired some EPOS ES11s, a Sugden SDT1 cd player and an old (black) Audiolab 8000a. I feel I'm remembering all over again what it really means to listen to and appreciate music.

I would dearly love to acquire a Sugden A21a if anyone's selling one!

Arlequen
28th December 2008, 10:51
Hello guys,

Just registered to this Forum :)
I live in northern Italy and I'm an old Vinyl Addict
My loved hi-fi setup :

TW Acustic Raven One turntable with Michell Tecnoarm and Grado Statement Master cartridge
Grado PH1 Phono Stage

Pass Labs X1 preamp

Parasound Halos JC1s monoblocks amps

Thiel 2.4 louspeakers

Philips CD 882 transport and Philips Dac 960 (heavily modified)

IC Cables all balanced Mogami Neglex 2534
Speaker cables Anti Cables 7ft.

Grandslamms
22nd January 2009, 23:41
Just discovered this Forum - thrilled to see so many fellow HiFi fanatics !

Been in love with Music and HiFi for well over 40 years.....

We're in the unusual situation of having our beloved systems boxed away as we finish off building a new Country House Guest House which is targeted for HiFi and Music Lovers.........

The dedicated Music Room will house Wilson Grandslamms / Wilson XS Subwoofer Towers / Krell / Theta / Basis equipment.
I have put more detail of the equipment and our planned venture for Themed Music Breaks (Pink Floyd / Bowie etc.) on a Thread about 'Show us your Kit'.

Looking forward to a future of enjoying this Forum with all you good people !

Caron.

lydgate
25th January 2009, 21:13
Hi everyone,

I'm based in London and I've cobbled together a system over the past several months.

Sources:
Roksan Radius V with Nima tonearm and Denon DL-160 cartridge
M-Audio Audiophile 2496 soundcard
Technics SL-PS7 CD player
Marantz ST-48 tuner

Although I never really play CDs and I only use the tuner as an alarm clock :D

Amp: Audiolab 8000a

Speakers: Mordaunt-Short Avant 906i

Headphones: Sennheiser HD-555, either straight from the Audiolab or through Headroom Bithead

I'm into all kinds of older music, have collected around 200 LPs in the past year plus the odd single. Genres would be punk, new wave, post-rock, glam rock, trying to get into blues. The artists that I have the most vinyl of are Elvis Costello, Kate Bush, Echo & the Bunnymen, Bruce Springsteen, Talking Heads, Blondie, The The, Neil Young (in that order).

Looking forward to becoming a part of the community :)

lambudada
10th February 2009, 06:51
HI EVERYBODY,

NICE TO MEET ALL OF YOU....KEEP ON UPDATING ABOUT AUDIO STUFFs AND VINYL....

carlo
5th March 2009, 10:47
Hello
My name is Carlo. I'm from Italy, and just registered to ZGF, after suggestion from other friends from Italy.
I was born as a musical lover, a real melomane, and my 5000 CDs still witness this attitude, but since when I started this audiophile adventure (with a pair of Spendor LS3/5a back in 1998) things have been altered.
Now I'm listening the same pair of LS3/5a with a pair of Pass XA100 poweramps, a Pass XP10 preamp and a Wadia 861 CDPlayer, all Mogami Neglex interconnect and anti-cables power wires, with Kemp Power chords.
This is the setup I've came to after many errors and tentatives (read half a dozen of "wrong" speakers, and a dozen and more of electronics brands, including ARC, Quad, Electrocompaniet, Bruce Moore, Threshold, Jeff Rowland, Spectral, MPNAudio, Audia, Mark Levinson, TeacEsoteric, North Star, Lector). I hope that with your advice, my trip will come to an end. I'm still in search for a new pair of speakers, that will be most likely SHL5 by Harbeth.
Cheers
Carlo

bottleneck
5th March 2009, 11:01
Hi Carlo - welcome to ZG!

Have you had a chance to hear the Harbeth SHL5 yet?

DavidF
5th March 2009, 11:09
Hi Carlo

Welcome.

:)

carlo
5th March 2009, 11:21
Hi Carlo - welcome to ZG!

Have you had a chance to hear the Harbeth SHL5 yet?

hello and thank you for your welcomes.
No, not yet heard, and to be honest one of the sources of my several mistakes in audio was my deaf (or blind) trust for the equipment I was purchasing: for many of them I've seldom had he chance to hear their behavior under controlled conditions (my room), and for many others first impression (often a simple change is confused with a clear improvement) was the only driver.
Harbeth speakers are aldo somehow "rare birds" in stores. I can hear a pair of CS7-II, that will be indicative of the family sound, and I will do soon, but for this first I've some major problems to deal with... I've recently discovered that voltage in my home (often below 210V) is too low for my electronics (not discovered since now, havong used a PSAudio power regenerator for years...) so I've to do some electrician job and open a dispute with my energy provider before regaining my ideal listening conditions. But for then, Harbets will be my first aim.
Greets
C

geordienp
7th March 2009, 19:34
Hi. Just joined. Musical Fidelity A3cr CD player, pre and power amps, PMC FB1 speakers (unmodified), rarely used Linn Axis ttable.

cliffyboy
11th March 2009, 16:06

What do you exactly mean by the ELAs having taken over the room.

Is this a positive point of view or a negative.

I won two pairs of ELAs, one which are used for AV and the other as my second set of speakers after my LS/4s.

The ELAs, IMHO certainly do fill teh room, admittedly, I feel that they actually outclass the Rogers (reason being is that they were the original R & D from Derek Frost - Ex Rega), the other pair, with current bass drivers (not Royd), are absolute shite. They fill a room with very good highs, but the LFs are inaudiable, thats why they are attached to teh AV amp, does me justice for TV, as TV is at the bottom of my passions, apart from Top Gear.

Look forward to hearing from you.

lysergiclover
18th March 2009, 11:36
Hello Just joined ZG forum - sure it'll prove to be a source of a wealth of information on the world of Hi-Fi....

D

moo-fi
6th April 2009, 09:57
Thought I'd better say hello, my name is Fred and had the hifi bug for far too long now. My current kit is okay but valves are calling, a trip to Nottingham was not a good idea to the bank account.

Stevew
8th May 2009, 16:07
Hi - thought I'd better tell you about myself system etc

Loved Hifi so much I went though college doing electronics and wanted to work in Hifi.

So went out looking for a job and ended up at Cambridge Audio testing/repairing C75/A75/P25 and integer models. Also bult and witnessed the buld/swearing of CD1 from birth to the first twenty.

Then left and went for a short while to Meridian where I helped test the 205 CD player and then

Arcam for twelve years where I tested A60/T21/Alpha Amp/tuner/D90/D80/D70CD/bb1-2-3/ , then became a Quality Engineer and got involved in D290 issues. Found that i had a talent for modifying CD players and did major mod work for the Alpha 7 mk1/2/se ,Alpha 8se , and sorted out some Qa issues on the Alpha 9CD the result of which was the prototype FMJ23.

After redundancy from Arcam went to Mission for a while , dropped out for a month or two (milkman) then went into Medical lasers but now working for a seriously expensive Digital projector manufacturer.

Interests :

most music , Adore Vinyl .

System : Oracle III/Linn Ittok CD player : NAIM CD3.5
PREamp : NAIM 42 (modified with seperate PSU) POWER AMP : NAIM 160. Loudspeaker : Tannoy Cheviots.

Cheers

Steve

scottc1968
16th June 2009, 15:56
Hi All
My system is
Lector 7t CD Player - nordost SPM RCA
Graaf GM50 Amp - Audience AU24
Art Emotion Speakers

Cheers

raddison
18th June 2009, 22:56
Hi Everyone and Greetings to you all
iPod Classic
naim cd5x
Supernait
Sonus Faber Liuto Monitors

Look forward to your experience and and ripping yarns

Into Jazz, Classical, Rock, World - all good music any genre

Byzantine
25th June 2009, 23:32
Hey everyone.

Chris Davies
25th June 2009, 23:52
Hi All

Little dot Mk3 as a Pre Amp - Mullard M8161 Driver tubes.
World Audio Design Kat6550 with KT88s and Black Gate electrolytics,Mundorf silver/oil coupling caps and Audyn caps.
Cambridge Audio D300 cd player
QED Qunex 3 Interconnects
TACIMA CS929 Mains Filter
Cable Talk Concert 2 speaker cable
Monitor Audio RS6 Speakers
ISOkinetik ISOmain Mains cables

Blues Jazz Light-techno rock ETC Loving Diana Krall at the mo.

Photographer by trade

http://www.christiandavies.com/

vincula
12th August 2009, 12:08
Hello everybody,
A pleasure to be here :).
As a member of the Vinyl Engine as well, I'm biased. I will always try to spread the analogue gospel :cool:!
Just kidding.

@Chris
I've just posted a reply regarding your quest for a pair of monoblocks.
BTW, I love Diana Krall too -especially the way she sings :JPS:

Regards,

Vincula

PS. My rig's humble:

Audio Analogue Puccini SE
Audio Analogue Maestro Cd with Atlas interconnect
(both currtently on sale here. since I'm upgrading to a valve amp!)
Audio Note AZ Two loudspeakers biwired with Supra 4.0 cable
Highly modified Linn Axis with Audio Technica 1005 tonearm
Thorens TD-320 Limited/TP 16 Mk.IV arm with Golding 900igc original vdh stylus
Audio Technica headshell with AT OC5 cart
Sumiko headshell with Benz Micro 20E2
Spare AT 95E cart on Technics-clone headshell
Cambridge T500 tuner
Pro-ject Headbox headphone am
Grado SR80 headphones

the_young_once
24th September 2009, 09:07
Greetings all,

nice to find out of this community, good discussion all around about gear and music, music especially, after all the gear is (supposed to be) a means to that end isn't it? :MILD: I'm based in Singapore (where fellow Scott visited recently and was nice to post a detailed report about)

Just started out in this hobby only a few years ago with a very humble kit, by no means anything to even post here about, but well just an intro:

Currently on:
- Thunder tube amp (bought used, probably a DIY job of an amp)
- Heybrook HB1 (old school, loved it when I got it but find them a bit lacking now)
- Onix metal stands (latest acquisition, surprisingly did wonders for my HB1's)
- Clarion 486 Head Unit (poor example of a source unit :() for CD duties
- MacBook Pro (the 2nd generation with the Intel Core Duo, for computer based play)

Waiting in the wings:
- Probably a decent CDP
- Outboard DAC; for the Mac definitely needs one, and possibly hooking up with above CDP so as to use the CDP as a transport only)

Not at the financial standing to venture into Vinyls yet, CD will have to suffice :D

QUAD405
24th September 2009, 15:38
Just thought I'd say hello!

RobHolt
25th September 2009, 19:52
Excellent choice of name Mr 405 :)

Welcome.

Dev
25th September 2009, 20:05
Excellent choice of name Mr 405 :)

Welcome.

I once owned a Peugeot by that name:D.

Hello to you too and welcome to the forum.

QUAD405
26th September 2009, 12:21
So, Dev owned a 'Peugeot Mr 405', not heard of that :)

Thanks, chaps!

Bally
1st October 2009, 18:23
Hi All, I joined today.

I have a Michell transcriptors reference turtable in original form with oil bearing arm (needs to be serviced though). A Pioneer PDS 06 CD player highly modified by Audiocom. A coulple of Pioneer A400 amplifiers ,slightly modded - PSU removed to external box and fast diodes added as well. These amps are used as power amplifiers (internal pre amp stage bypassed) driving a pair of Tannoy Sensys DC2 loudspeakers in bi-amped mode. The Pre amp is a Promitheus TVC4 Ref. Oh yes I also have a couple of Celestion Subwoofers (DC 10) to augment the stereo loudspeakers and balance their super tweetered treble response.

I have various mains products (cables, isolating transformers, filters etc.) as well as home made audio / digital cables.
Thats my current kit in a nut shell.

I have started a thread by asking if anyone had any thoughts on the Burson Headphone amp as I am considering purchasing one for my Sennheiser H6 600 / Kimber cabled headphone.

tda
26th October 2009, 11:05
Hi, i found this forum through google searching on a Marantz CD7 review. I bought a CD7, and will receive it in 2-3 days. Cant wait ;)

My current system is:
Philips LHH2000
Marantz CD15
Marantz PM17mkII
Philips SCD2000 proto
Mission 751 Freedom
Mission 754 Freedom 5
AKG K701
Pro-ject Head Box SE
BK Gemini II
van den hul cables

I have sold the Philips LHH2000, the CD7 comes in its place.

I have a website with pics of the equipment in my set, and other equipment. I made the website because i always had a hard time finding information i was looking for, information about the Philips LHH cdplayers, d/a converters an cd drives. So i thought to make a website my self and share the info with other enthaustiacs.

I have a great interest for Philips and Marantz stuff, specially the odd things like prototypes. I have/had some prototypes, like the Philips SCD2000, which is a prototype for a multichannel SACD player, which Philips showed on fairs in 2000. Besides that i have a Philips DCC850 DCC deck prototype, a Philips CDR850 CDR prototype (pre-model for the Marantz CDR1), and a Philips DAT880 prototype.
Pics of it can be seen on my website.
But soon i will collect the Marantz CD7, a player i have been looking for for a long time.
My next 'dream' player will be the Philips LHH900r (http://www.marantzphilips.nl/philips_lhh900r_cdplayer/). Even better than the CD7 ;)

My website: http://www.marantzphilips.nl

nando
26th October 2009, 11:27
welcome one and all to the forum,
nando.

versusrider
9th November 2009, 18:28
Hi all, been lurking for a bit and decided to join. My kit consists of css bass reflex full range diy standmounts ( made by me ), fostex FE126E back loaded horns also by me. Lowther Fidelio with EX3's. amps are chinese valve hybrid 25w, 35w EL34 push pull, bottlehead paramour monoblocks 2A3's. MHZS cd88, IMG and Lenco 75 turntables, chinese valve phono stage. As for music, rock, pop, some classical, jazz, most things really.

avs
14th November 2009, 21:15
Greetings all!

My system is:

Sony CDP XA7ES CD player
Lenco L-78 turntable
Pioneer C-90a preamp
Hitachi HMA8500mk2 amp
Yamaha NS-2000 speakers

Just got a pair of Dynaudio Crafft and am looking for a proper amp for them. I consider MC2 - found many people here who knows this stuff well.

Barney
19th November 2009, 19:40
Hiya all
Just joined and getting back into the "Hi-Fi World".
Moved house last year and have got my own, albeit small room.
My Arcam Alpha 5 CD and Amp were bought in 1991 and were sited in the family lounge and hardly ever played. I sold my Mission 751's when we moved as I knew I needed close to wall speakers. Recently bought a rack and speaker stands and some Nordost Flatline Gold II cable, tomorrow I pick up some Rega RS1's lets see where I go from there?

justinhi
25th November 2009, 00:20
A quick one about me then. Been into hifi for about 18 years .Im a meridian man im afraid at present cant afford(yet the dsp package so im settling for the meridian m60x5 and 2500 sub 541,598,568.2mm (tragedy!) to that I have a ded mains with all missing link reference opus and orbit using supplier 6 and eps 100 sockets to that pioneer plasma ,projector ect ect im preety happy with it basicly ...

Will eventually go dsp with be a slow transition im afraid....

Music quiet an eclectic collection ,john hopkins ulrich scnauss ,satchel,love my soundtracks ,james horner,cliff martinez ...

DrMartin
3rd December 2009, 21:08
Just introducing myself after having a good old nose around on here for a few weeks now. I've recently decided to upgrade my now quite old (and not particularly special) system and have a lot of questions before taking the plunge. I lost interest about 10 years ago when I moved to this house because the room I'm forced to use is a real spoiler and I just couldn't obtain what I considered to be a decent sound, no matter how hard I tried. However, I've decided to fight back so in many ways it will be like starting from scratch.

I'm currently using a Sony FA3ES amp, Sony XA20ES CDp and mission 753 Freedoms with Cable Talk interconnects & Speaker cable.

I think these speakers are quite difficult to drive because the amp's overload protection kicks in long before the volume knob reaches 12:00. I know there's a lot more to be had out of these speakers so my first move is new amplification.

I'll leave it there for now and start posting properly fairly soon.

jdefayette
21st December 2009, 14:40
Well, here's another newbie in all senses, being completely new to the world of HiFi. Let's just say I have no stereo at all now, since I don't remember what that Japanese box is sitting on my bookshelf right now. It's something that used to pump sound through two old hand-built wooden boxes that were thrown out in my recent house move.

The last A/V purchase that I made with any forethought was an Onkyo TX-3000 in 1978. I saved up 5 years of baby-sitting money for that one (and a 10-speed bike).

Today I have a new, rather large living room (about 7m x 4m) to furnish, and it feels right to put in a music section before anything else. I have visited the requisite HiFi dealer--great people and a really cool culture--and I have been spending far too much time on the audiophile fora. Now it's time for a reality check, if anybody is game.

First, I have concluded it will be a good idea to start off with what you all might call a starter kit. You know, a small, second-hand bike with training wheels. There will be time in the future for digging deep into my pockets if I happen to develop the symptoms audiophilia.

Let's start with a strong base. I loved the demo I experienced of the Totem Arros. They sounded fabulous with the store's system, especially compared to the bookshelf models that were hauled out (Oh, did I mention that I have a wife?). I'll return to the crime scene with a Mozart piano concerto (n. 21) and the Tchaikovsky violin concerto to give them a thorough test; I'm convinced that I have to spend some serious money on the speakers. By the way, I'm being offered €1k for demo speakers--are we on the high end, or is that just the price for living in Europe?

Now, to drive the speakers it seems that a good choice will be to get some weight behind them. Although I would probably never get it out of second gear I was considering an NAD C370 from the second-hand market. It appears to have all of the sensitivity required for low-volume listening of nuanced music. Is that simply overkill for a newbie?

I am an open book (or a sitting duck, depending on your job), so all opinions will be considered with the usual thoughtfulness reserved for the Internet!

Thanks for the advice,
John

Chain Lightning
8th January 2010, 22:07
Just found the forum and am saying hello.

RobHolt
8th January 2010, 22:37
Hello and welcome :)

dave2002
17th January 2010, 16:45
Recommended to come here, so here I am. In particular interested in surround sound right now. Testing out some DVD-As, and trying to figure out a way to get SACD to work in multi-channel. Right now listening to Sarah Chang playing last movement of Cesar Franck's sonata - lovely - very gentle playing - never heard it sound like that before. mp3 via a Logitech Squeezebox. Free sampler courtesy of amazon uk. I'm still wondering if the squeezebox doesn't actually sound better than my CD player - which is a fairly decent Marantz model - and also my SACD player by Oppo.

RobHolt
17th January 2010, 16:52
Hi Dave and welcome.

Lots of Daves here so this might get confusing :)

Please do start a thread on Squeezeboxes/streamers v CD players if you wish and share you experiences.

Ozexpat
1st February 2010, 00:54
Hi Folks !
Thought I would introduce myself via a Newbie thread.
I have been a HiFi enthusiast for about 30 years. I have owned a plethora of disparate systems over the decades. However, due to a change in circumstances, I have had to be very selective in my purchases of late. I have thus ended up with what would best be described as 'Budget'. Performance wise it is reasonably well balanced and, as my ears are aging faster than the rest of me, suits my present situation (although I am always on the lookout for upgrades).

For what it's worth my kit consists of:-
Pro-Ject Debut 111 (standard)
Pro-Ject Phonobox 11
Shanling CDT80
Marantz PM7001 KI Signature
Ruark Prologue 11
Atlas Hyper 2 Sp Cable
Atlas Equator Inters.

So plenty of room for improvement but I will hopefully pick up some ideas from you guys.

DavidF
1st February 2010, 01:23
Ideal.

Wecome!

Look forward to getting yoiur ideas on stuff.

Ozexpat
1st February 2010, 02:28
On that note, I should have mentioned that all my equipment is mounted on a SomethingSolid EXR suspended shelving rack.
It won't turn a pig's ear into a silk purse but the added focus and tightened bottom end is welcome.

nando
1st February 2010, 10:53
welcome to the drome, it is nice to have you here, look foward to your views, regards,
nando.

Labarum
27th February 2010, 11:05
I was here for a bit a few years ago and drifted away.

I'll give it a go again; I must have drifted off to places where the Beresford DAC was discussed, and where streaming was commonplace.

Here is a reintroduction:

I have listened to HiFi for the last 30 odd years on Sugden and Quad kit.

I bought a Sugden A48/T48 in 1978 instead of a Quad 33/303. The Sugden drove a pair of 10" Tannoy Dual Concentrics (Cheviots?) till 20 years ago when (while in Germany) I bought a pair of Quart 980s loudspeakers which I still use in the lounge.

I bought my first CD player about the same time - a Philips CD204, if I remember correctly - and ditched the deck and the LP collection. Too much to carry around the world on army trucks!

In 1996 I bought a Quad 77 CD player and Integrated Amp and shortly afterwards the tuner. I still have that kit.

For my lounge I now have a Beresford Caiman DAC driving a Quad 405-2 bought on eBay and upgraded by 405man. It drives the Quart 980s tower loudspeakers which still sound extremely fine. The source is a Squeezebox Classis. This kit is in transit to a large bungalow in Nicosia, Cyprus.

The Quad 77 Integrated Amp with matching CDP and Tuner? I will sell the lot and buy some small active monitors to go with a Squeezebox for my Southampton Flat; or I will keep the amp and buy suitable passive speakers - Harbeth P3ESR?

But first I have to wait for my son to move out and take his AV kit with him.

Simon Hickie
30th March 2010, 20:38
Hi All. Just joined & made first posting in Show Us Your Kit thread. Simon

stereophille
19th April 2010, 12:00
Hello everybody ! I am a beginner audiophile. I hope this forum account will increase my knowledge to the Hi-Fi world. :D

danworth81
1st May 2010, 02:46
Hi Guys just joined and wanted to say hi!

Ive put some gear in the trade section although I'm a private seller I'm selling a load for a mate who has hoarded for years, didnt wanna seem like I was taking liberties in the privates.:) I got told off on the wigwam for doing that (still amember there tho) so I'm here to behave:) and to soak up some knowledge, I'm just getting into bigger boy hifi!

Gunna post in the show us ur gear soon to show my nice new shiny Anatek monoblocks which are gunna be squating in my system for a while to come :)

DERILDO
1st May 2010, 13:57
Hello everyone,

I am from Rowlands Castle nr. Portsmouth, I have the following kit:

Rega's Apollo, P3, Cursa 2000, Maia 2000. Quad 11 L2's on Atacama 24" stands.
Cabling by Chord.
Just got the Maia, having being using a Rotel RB1070 with the preamp. I have a question about setting the gain on the Cursa which I will put in the general hifi section.

I had previously used the P3 with an Onix OA21 and a Pro-ject phono stage into an Onkyo AV amp and it was ok but since getting the Cursa with MM phono stage it has come alive, definitely be exploring the turntable / arm mods that are available.

Cheers

Derek

Dev
1st May 2010, 14:08
Welcome to the forum guys, hope you like it here.

Chairman Bill
5th May 2010, 14:14
Good afternoon each. First post ever on a hi-fi forum, but been posting nonsense elsewhere, about other things, for some time, so generally up to speed on forum niceties.

My current kit, pretty much unchanged for many years, consists of LP12 with OL tone arm, a cartridge of course, but I can't remember what it is - a Rega I think. Amp is a Nait, all running into a pair of Linn Index Plus speakers. More recent addition is a Musical Fidelity A3 CD player, a Denon tuner, a Denon tape deck, a Musical Fidelity X-10, on a Sound Org stand.

Musical taste is eclectic, but mainly blues, rock, jazz & folk.

About to embark on a long-overdue upgrade, but commitment to my long-suffering Moderating Influence, aka the wife, limits my expenditure somewhat. Happy with the LP12 so that's staying. A3 seems OK, as does everything else really, but the Nait is dated, and the speakers aren't the best out there (and my wife doesn't much like the Black Ash finish, which is fair comment), so looking at a 2nd hand Mus Fid amp (A3cr - 308 - A5?), or Audio Analogue (wistful sigh) & some replacement speakers - cherry or walnut floor mounts (wife's reasonable aesthetic sensibilities) to do the new amp & existing sources justice.

Certainly welcoming of any advice on those upgrades, if anyone has any thoughts

Telkman
5th May 2010, 14:42
Good afternoon each. First post ever on a hi-fi forum, but been posting nonsense elsewhere, about other things, for some time, so generally up to speed on forum niceties.

My current kit, pretty much unchanged for many years, consists of LP12 with OL tone arm, a cartridge of course, but I can't remember what it is - a Rega I think. Amp is a Nait, all running into a pair of Linn Index Plus speakers. More recent addition is a Musical Fidelity A3 CD player, a Denon tuner, a Denon tape deck, a Musical Fidelity X-10, on a Sound Org stand.

Musical taste is eclectic, but mainly blues, rock, jazz & folk.

About to embark on a long-overdue upgrade, but commitment to my long-suffering Moderating Influence, aka the wife, limits my expenditure somewhat. Happy with the LP12 so that's staying. A3 seems OK, as does everything else really, but the Nait is dated, and the speakers aren't the best out there (and my wife doesn't much like the Black Ash finish, which is fair comment), so looking at a 2nd hand Mus Fid amp (A3cr - 308 - A5?), or Audio Analogue (wistful sigh) & some replacement speakers - cherry or walnut floor mounts (wife's reasonable aesthetic sensibilities) to do the new amp & existing sources justice.

Certainly welcoming of any advice on those upgrades, if anyone has any thoughts

Welcome aboard, Bill - the majority of us are under the influence of she who must be obeyed, so you won't find too many open cheque books! :)

It might be worth starting a thread in the HiFi section for advice about your upgrades, not everyone will check into this thread now it's reached so many pages!

nabcs
13th May 2010, 12:37
Hello,

I happy to join this community.

I have a great interest in HiFi...I am a tube lover.

My equipment:

Source: Esoteric P05/D05/Masterclock G0b1
Pre Amp and Amp: Wavac PRT1 Pre / MD805m Power (single-ended Class A)
Speakers: Audio Acoustics Sapphire
Cables: Audio Acoustics Resonance, Argento Serenety Power Cables
Accessories: CD Sound Improver, Acoustic Revive RD-3 Demagnetizer

NABCS

Dev
13th May 2010, 16:43
Welcome NABCS.

AlfonsVH
29th May 2010, 22:13
Hi all,

My name is Alfons, and I'm a Belgian student trying to get as good an audio setup as possible on as low a budget as possible.

I don't have much gear yet, namely a pair of B&W DM-601 S2 speakers and an Arcam Delta 90.2 amplifier.
I also have an old Lenco L833DD turntable, but I rarely ever use it and will probably part with it very soon.

Currently I connect the amp to my MacBook's soundcard, but I'm looking to buy a DAC to get the best possible sound out of it. (any DAC suggestions?)

Regards!

Labarum
30th May 2010, 06:39
I belive the MacBook sets a decent standard anyway.

I use a Beresford Caiman which has source switching and a volume control so will work as a Pre-amp. There is a cheaper Beresford with the same facilities.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/main/main.html

Others like the Cambridge DacMagic

http://www.richersounds.com/product/cd-players-recorders-dacs/cambridge-audio/dacmagic/camb-dacmagic-08-blk

Or the Musical Fidelity V-DAC

http://www.whathifi.com/Review/Musical-Fidelity-V-DAC/

Corky
11th June 2010, 22:26
I will most certainly become a forum legend. Here is your only chance to welcome me. Don’t miss out on this great opportunity.

welcome, legend! :-)

gump
15th June 2010, 22:57
Hi all!

Just wanted to say hello here, looks like a great friendly board.
Not sure how I found it, but was googling something to do with PA speakers at the time!

Seems to be a good mix of old and new hifi, some techy stuff, and as always some strong opinions :D

This seems to fit me pretty well, having grown up with various bits of older hifi, and now some more modern kit.
Seem to have a fetish for amps.. currently have some old Meridian 100 series, a Quad 33, 3x303s I used for home cinema with a Tag AV32r until I picked up a AV100x5 when Tag went tits up. Just showed really how good a ton of old power amps still sound!

Will probably spend most time lurking, but will post when can.

Cheers all.. :)

flatpopely
20th June 2010, 21:36
Hello all.

Andrew here. I hope to help out as and when I can as well as learn some new stuff.

RobHolt
20th June 2010, 23:56
Welcome Andrew.

You took your time - we've been here for years :)

flatpopely
21st June 2010, 10:26
Hi Rob.

Well I'm here now!!!!!!!!!

Andrew

P.S. Don't know why ZG slipped through the net as there are so many familiar faces on here.

flatpopely
21st June 2010, 14:29
Hello ZG

I guess its time for the formal intro.

I have asked the mods to change my status to a trade one:-

www.audioflat.co.uk

I am NOT here to promote my stuff (its not available yet anyway) so unless I am asked a direct question I won't intitiate discussion.

I have a modified NAIM LP12 system and I know my way around an LP12 and Olive NAIM gear quite well!

I am prog rock fan and also like fast cars (have an M3) and wine.

Thats me!

Always happy to answer questions if I can.

Andrew.

Dev
21st June 2010, 15:12
... (have an M3)

Andrew.

Welcome to ZG Andrew:).

flatpopely
21st June 2010, 15:17
Thanks Dev.

What Bimmer is that in your Avatar?

Had mine around Cadwell and Oulton a few times..............

Andrew.

Dev
21st June 2010, 15:43
It's a picture of a pre-production 4 door M3 and sadly it's not mine Andrew. I drive (happily) a 325. M3 would be great if I could afford it.

flatpopely
21st June 2010, 15:46
Perhaps when I'm down south (a lot) you might like a quick spin?

Dev
21st June 2010, 15:55
You'd be my friend for life:D.

flatpopely
21st June 2010, 16:01
Dev.

This could be you:-

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/E92%20M3/Cadwell%2010-06-09/DSC_0797-1.jpg

jamesbin142
28th June 2010, 07:45
Hello this place seem pretty cool for a newbie like me ^^

Dev
30th June 2010, 18:27
Dev.

This could be you:-

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w258/Andrew_Popely/E92%20M3/Cadwell%2010-06-09/DSC_0797-1.jpg

Many Thanks Andrew, I'm sold :D

P.S. I heard you leave. Best track I've heard today:D.

flatpopely
30th June 2010, 20:22
Many Thanks Andrew, I'm sold :D

P.S. I heard you leave. Best track I've heard today:D.

Thought I'd give it some beans!!!

Nice to have met you.

Andrew.

speedy.steve
4th July 2010, 20:30
Oooh pics of lardy BMW's:)

This was me at Brands;)

http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/46231/2323761720071997495S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2323761720071997495cPehKX)

Just slipping up the inside of a slick shod Sierra Cosworth turbo into Druids at Brands.
Quite quick down the straights but nowhere on the twisty stuff.

Stripped out racing M3's, racing Fiesta's, Astras, Mini ones all fall prey to the 7 on the shorter UK circuits - "any fool can drive fast in a straight line"
http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/high-performance-driving-course.htm

flatpopely
4th July 2010, 21:16
Hmmmm.

Not been outlapped by many 7s at Cadwell Steve!

Oooh pics of lardy BMW's:)

This was me at Brands;)

http://inlinethumb24.webshots.com/46231/2323761720071997495S600x600Q85.jpg (http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2323761720071997495cPehKX)

Just slipping up the inside of a slick shod Sierra Cosworth turbo into Druids at Brands.
Quite quick down the straights but nowhere on the twisty stuff.

Stripped out racing M3's, racing Fiesta's, Astras, Mini ones all fall prey to the 7 on the shorter UK circuits - "any fool can drive fast in a straight line"
http://www.ridedrive.co.uk/high-performance-driving-course.htm

speedy.steve
5th July 2010, 09:06
Cadwell is a favourite of 7's - I've been there many a time. It's quite a power circuit though on the start finish and up the hill.
The current crop of Duratec R500's and Radical's (another fav of mine) would do the job but they are not cheap.
I don't expect many fast 7's go to on tin top days (I never do) as they tend to get in the way - can be quick on the straights but sooo slow in the corners, and they are rather wide:-)

cyp21
1st August 2010, 15:31
Hello All

Interesting forum so i thought id join.

My kit is sub standard and have no money to upgrade at present.

I have:

Technics SL1200MK2 with a cheapo stanton cart
Arcam Alpha 8R Amp
Pioneer DVL-919 Laserdisc (bought second hand a couple of years ago)
Sony SACD/DVD player cant remember name
i havnt really bought anything new for about 10 years

So as you see most other members on the forum could blast my stuff out of the water :lol:

Batty
9th August 2010, 02:41
Hi, my name is Steve and I live in Adelaide, I have 2 systems, the main one consists '86 Townshend Elite Rock with AO rewired and foam filled RB250 with a OL structural mod at the moment I'm using a DL-110 cart and have a Goldie 1042 in the wings. Amplification is Copland CSA-14 and the speakers are Castle Howards.

Secondly I have a digital setup utilising my PC as storage and player, optical out to my old Denon DMD 1000 which serves as a DAC (and player now and then) to a Rotel RA-04 into Castle Richmond 3s. Oh yeah, there is a CD63 KI Sig hooked in there too.

Headphones are an aging pair of HD414s

Musicwise I have quite wide tastes except both types of music (country and western). Favorite band is Marillion either with or without Fish.

I have put some DIY kits together just to mess around with, so far these include a phono preamp a DAC and a headphone amp.

fjoggedelic
10th August 2010, 10:21
Dear folks!
I´m new in here, and just wanted to post a little for the first time, and thought i would "show" you my kit.
I have build all my kit up around my amplifier, the legendary Lavardin IT. Speakers are also French. Jean Marie Raynaud: Orfeo`s. My CD is Rega Saturn, My Turntable, also Rega P7 with Rega Exact pu and my riaa is again, also Rega Eos. I`m very fond of Rega, and used to own the legendary P3, but shifted for the much better P7. The cables i`m using with great results is Acoustic Zen`s Satori Shotgun between my speakers and amplifier. AZ Silver Ref II for my Saturn, AZ Matrix Ref II for my riaa, so it`s all AZ, and with outstanding performance. It all sounds a bit for the warm side, but with great details and a astonning bass:JOEL:
If anyone has any questions, be free to ask?
Best Thomas![/FONT]

fjoggedelic
12th August 2010, 23:23
Hi, im new in here an come from Denmark, but is serius in to HI-FI and had spendt proberly around 25.000 euros on my equipment, but it`s the first time i have been satisfied with my set-up. Iv`e have been in for HI-FI for 25 years, and have had all kinds of equipment. My first speakers where the legendary( in Denmark) F3 Onken Focal, those with the big egg on top of the cabinet. In many years i had Audiolab an different F3 Lyd speakers, who nowadays call themselves Audiovector. Before buying my new gear i had the Audiovector M3 Avantgarde, but recently sold it with all my other stuff.
I began looking after new equiment and stumble over the Lavardin IT amplifier pretty cheap (a demo), so i bought it and hooked it up with my Audiovector M3`s but was looking for something more, so suddenly i was in for a hole new set-up. I bought Jean Marie Reynaud speakers, the Orfeo`s and Rega Saturn CD, Rega P7 turntable with the Rega Exact PU, and the Rega Eos Riaa, so now i was ready to listen. And it sounded marveles, i wasn`t expecting such good sound. Later on i put a Sub in to my system, the Velodyne DD12 and the sound improved a lot. The lower end of the Orfeo`s could now deliver their best without getting stressed, so the DD 12 nicely blendeed in to the Orfeo`s. Just recently o bought new cables for the system, and after trying a lot of different cables i came up with Acoustic Zen cables. They gives the best value for money, and still can be compared to much more expensive cables. For my speakers it was the Satori Shotgun, for my Saturn it was the Silver Ref II and for my riaa, the Matrix Ref II. About tweaks i have the Boston Audio Tuneblocks XT with TC upgrade for my Saturn CD and my Rega P7. And for the Saturn i also have the cd stabilizer. And for my sub i have the Black Diamond Racing cones underneath it, with jumbo pitts. So i`m a lucky man an i think my system can beat a lot of even more expensive system out there. I have never heard such great smooth and punchy sound before from any system. :)

bottleneck
12th August 2010, 23:54
Hi Fjogg/welcome to the forum. Feel free to put some photo's of your kit up, it's a great place to start.

tonbert
23rd August 2010, 18:46
New here and my name is Ton and I'm from Holland.
Listen to all kind of music but prefer jazzy kind of music, from latin to smooth. Favorit cd (bluray) at this moment Chris Botti in Boston.

Actually quite an Arcam fan and bu yand sell sometimes some( often arcam) gear to upgrade my own set.
Have an Arcam avr 600 with sonos system, Keff reference 3.2 and OLS (Kharma) speakers, tress speaker cable and Nordost interlinks, Dune 3.0 and Panasonic 50G20. For stereo I have an older Naim set.

TheCherub
24th August 2010, 12:27
Though I should introduce myself. Stumbled across this forum from somewhere (not quite sure where), and decided to join as it seems a fairly friendly place (bolstered by the presence of Mr_Tad who I am aware of via the bit-tech forums).

Currently in the process of saving for a substantial upgrade to my current setup, which was a case of what I could afford at the time to get on the ladder.

Harry Hotspur
20th September 2010, 15:16
Hello,

Came across your excellent forum by chance and thought I would join! I am currently working in Riyadh in the middle of what is literally a desert, both geographically and culturally!!

Before I came here some years ago my local dealer advised me to put my beloved hi-fi into storage - excellent advice having now seen how the local customs officials treat your belongings. Anyway, another 6 months and I will be back in the UK and reunited with my music collection. System currently comprises:

Linn LP12, Ittok, Lyra Clavis and Armageddon
Naim NAC 82, NAP 180 and Hi-Cap
Naim SBLs

No CD player but this is something I am looking to rectify on my return to the UK together with some much needed maintenance and upgrades to my front end and amplification. I can hardly wait!!!!

Assimilate
20th September 2010, 21:00
Hi All

Just joined the forum today. Have to admit to being a bit of a girlie geek and have been into my hi-fi since I was a teenager.

Have had a range of good and not so good separates over the years - some homemade stuff, Rogers, Leak, Quad 303/33, Mordaunt Short, Sony, JBL, Myryad, Arcam, Dynaudio, more Quad 303/33's...

About 18 months ago I treated myself to a Roksan Kandy K2 amplifier, Roksan Kandy K2 CD player and a pair of Quad 22L2 speakers. I've just bought some Naim speaker cable off fleabay which I'm going to collect tomorrow - looking forward to seeing whether it makes a noticeable difference from the speaker cable I'm using at the moment (think it's more suited to home cinema setups from what I've read).

Kathryn

Speranza
8th October 2010, 01:36
Hello one and all

Am new to the forum... But glad I've found it. Had a revival of interest in this complex and oh so subjective world of hi-fi and audio equipment reproduction after 11 years.

Am running a system based on a Roksan Kandy L MKIII amp, Arcam CD73T CD player and Mission 733i s.....

And now it's time for me to ask a few questions and look for some advice in the relevant section!

Speranza
8th October 2010, 01:38
Hi All

Just joined the forum today. Have to admit to being a bit of a girlie geek and have been into my hi-fi since I was a teenager.

Have had a range of good and not so good separates over the years - some homemade stuff, Rogers, Leak, Quad 303/33, Mordaunt Short, Sony, JBL, Myryad, Arcam, Dynaudio, more Quad 303/33's...

About 18 months ago I treated myself to a Roksan Kandy K2 amplifier, Roksan Kandy K2 CD player and a pair of Quad 22L2 speakers. I've just bought some Naim speaker cable off fleabay which I'm going to collect tomorrow - looking forward to seeing whether it makes a noticeable difference from the speaker cable I'm using at the moment (think it's more suited to home cinema setups from what I've read).

Kathryn

Hello there fellow newcomer.... Ooh, I'm envious of the latest Roksan Kandy K2 amp, albeit under the assumption that it is better than its predecessor which I have.

That said, am even more envious of your avatar! :)

conisby
9th October 2010, 15:58
Hi folks, trying to re-kindle the old hi-fi bug, which was left on the old backburner due to a move State side (for a women !!!!). Anyway back in the UK and happily divorced, so want to get back into it all again. Looking forward to getting involved with likeminded soles to discuss all things musical.

I don't know if im allowed to mention if im looking for certain items?? if not please feel free to tell me off.

But if anyone has any leads on where i might source a second hand Kuzma Stabi s / Stogi s combo, i'd be for ever gratefull.

All the best

Simon

omkara
13th November 2010, 22:39
Hi all i am a film maker based in Kuala Lumpur and Los Angeles
Nice to have found this site,

Heres my Home Rig :

Rogue Cronus Titan "Magnum" Integrated Amplifier (90 Watts/PC)
Paradigm Titan Monitors V6
Cambridge Audio 650c Cd Player
Technics SL210 Citroen Edition with Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge

System fed with DH Labs Cable Loom powered by Shunyata Hydra 2 with Black Rhodium Super Jazz Mains Lead plugged to a Dedicated Hi-Fi Line.

Office Rig :
Vintage Pioneer SM700 Power Amplifier
Nuforce Icon DAC/Preamp
Bose Acoustimass 5 (They finally gave up yesterday and thinking of moving the Paradigms here)
Nuforce W1 Active Subwoofer

Operated with Monster Cable/Audioquest Loom Interconnect/Wires.

Gym Rig : (All Vintage)
Sansui AU5900 Integrated Amplifier
Sansui TU7700 Tuner
Sansui SP2000 Speaker
The Technics SL210 Shall Return here, Once i get a nice turntable for my home rig.

:JOEL:

uglymusic
22nd November 2010, 19:12
I've lurked, but now I should introduce myself by way of my gear.

Main system:
Apple Mac mini G4
Drobo storage
KingRex UD-01 SE DAC and Power Supply
NVA Statement Pre
NVA TDS Mk1 monoblocks
Royd RR3 speakers
NVA Sound Cord, Sound Pipe and Super Sound Pipe interconnects, NVA LS5 speaker cable and CryoParts USB Cable II.

Office system:
Apple iMac 27" Core 2 Duo
Pioneer A400X amp
Mission 761 speakers
NVA Sound Pipe interconnects and mystery back of the cupboard loudspeaker cables.

Dev
22nd November 2010, 19:45
Welcome to the forum guys. I hope your enjoy posting here.

Curious name uglymusic:). What sort of music do you prefer?

uglymusic
22nd November 2010, 19:57
Thanks for the welcome, Dev

I listen to a lot of free/avant garde jazz. A friend once said: you're not going to play any of that ugly music, are you Dave? So it's become my forum handle.

Dev
22nd November 2010, 20:25
I've never thought of any music as ugly but I guess it's a good handle:).

Jehuty
26th November 2010, 16:53
Hi all,

I came across this fantastic forum when I was searching for a pair of Tannoy HPD385 (I still am). I am really amazed, some members here got some awesome skills and knowledge about vintage Tannoy drivers. I really look forward to sharing the love with all of you here.

I am into vintage gears and looking to build my system with all vintage goodness. At the moment my main system consists of modified Marantz CD94 transport outputting I2S, custom TDA1541A double crown tube DAC (anyone selling double crown chip?), JLTi EL34 amp with Telefunken PCC88 and Philips Miniwatt EL34 double D getter valves, Quad 21L2 speakers and open baffle Lansing 515C bass drivers. My focus now is to upgrade my speakers to Tannoy HPD385 in Westminster box.

Happy listening,
William

Boman
27th November 2010, 13:15
Another newcomer here. Initially looked to join only as a means to come into contact with another member, but reading some old posts I soon realised that this forum has a commendably friendly atmosphere with none of the vitriolic trench wars that can plague other fora. (If there are such threads here, don't let me know...)

I often make the mistake of describing my music taste as varied, but every time I'm asked to give examples I struggle to mention anything outside the rock, pop, metal and synth genres. Lots of Manics, Mary Chain, Poppies, Carter, Chumbawamba, Placebo, Front 242, Faith No More and Fear Factory in my music collection, but also "soft" music such as Norah Jones, Tori Amos and Lemonheads and 60's music such as The Beatles and The Rolling Stones (to keep the parents happy when they come visiting...). The last couple of weeks, the most played records come from Story of the Year and Robyn.

Equipment wise, I have begun the mental process of steering onto the path of computer based listening. Still a way to go before that is realised, though. Currently playing music through an MF combo of transport (X-Ray v8), Dac (X-Dac v8) and separate PSU (Triple-X 170). Amplification consists of a Cambridge 840E (we've had a rough journey) and a Classé CA-2100. These connect to Krell Resolution 3 stand mounts, via Eichmann and Tara Labs cables. There's an Isotek Aquarius in there too, the benefits of which haven't quite convinced me, as well as power cords from Lessloss (more convincing). Oh, and I keep a Marantz SA-7001KI around for the odd SACD.

/Boman

Silk
16th December 2010, 21:11
Good evening everyone.

Dev
16th December 2010, 22:56
Welcome guys.

smartin
10th January 2011, 18:41
Hello Guys

Tripped over your forum while looking around , looks great.
My system stands at the moment.
Pioneer DV868AVI,FLYING MOLE PAS1 / MAS160, FOCAL JM LAB CHORUS 714S.
Musical tastes are pretty wide, if i like it great if not it was worth a try.

nando
10th January 2011, 19:01
welcome to the drome no seriously, hope that you enjoy the forum ,
regards,

roninpunkboy
5th February 2011, 21:43
hello zerogain people, have recently signed up here and thought i should introduce myself.
i am a thirtysomething with a broad musical palette. i have and still, at times dj. currently i am getting to grips with writing tunes using a sony vaio laptop and image line fl studio.
as for gear, well i have been deprived for quite some time and have had to resort to listening to music via a pair of akg headphones and the vaio. however late last summer i found a pair of slightly scruffy celestion ditton22's sitting outside a charity shop which i managed to pick up for £8 the pair....on the advice of a mate i purchased a mission cyrus one of ebay for £53 and got qed quennex cable (i think) dirt cheap. so i was sorted or so i thought.
if anyone here has any indepth technical savvy re amps i would really appreciate if you could pm as the cyrus has got a fault and whilst i could go into detail i am not sure if this is the right forum for such things.
and thats my story and my gear

Corky
5th February 2011, 22:13
Hi roninpunkboy; the amp can have failures on the main board and the joints to the back can break but by far the most common faults on older ones is dirt and grease in the switches. A good clean out with a spray electrical cleaning product from Maplin could fix it right up. Good luck :-)s

simbo
23rd February 2011, 13:25
Hello All,

Just signed up to Zerogain.

Current kit is Audio Note:

TT-Two / Arm Three / IQ3
Oto Phono SE
CDT2
DAC2.1x Signature
AN-E/Spe

Listen to all sorts of music, just wish I had more time!

silverback11
24th February 2011, 19:14
hello...just been brave and posted my first thread here! Look forward to much erudite discussion

meridian man
16th March 2011, 23:01
Hi all and Happy Paddy's day.

smallman
10th April 2011, 22:42
Hello all

Just a quick post to say hello

Current kit = Musical Fidelity + Icon Audio

MF A3.2 cd
MF A3.2CR Dual Mono Pre and Power ( Going in Classifieds soon )
Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mkiii
ProAc responce 1.5

Into all types of music

Karl

diviy
29th April 2011, 15:47
Just saying hello my name is Gerry and I live in Swansea.

Here my system

Rega p3 with rb250 arm srm upgrage kit
Arcam A65
Creek evo cd player
XLP-S V3 phono stage
kef q15 speaker
Atacama Speaker Stands
All units mounted on deflex foculpods
Speakers on granite bases
Turntable mounted on a inch thick Acrylic base
All the mains leads made out of armoured cable
This is all sitting on a diy flexy table

nando
29th April 2011, 16:47
welcome gerry, hope you enjoy this forum, and all the crazies, cheers

MrAcoustat
9th June 2011, 12:08
Hi my name is Andre Sevigny i am 65 years old newly retired so now i can listend 60 hours a week instead of 40 i am a long time audiophile better known on forum's as MrAcoustat i live in the province of Quebec in Canada here's my system.

PS: You can visit my photo galery here = http://www.flickr.com/photos/mracoustat/

Chord CPM-2600
Chord One
Acoustat 1+1s

http://i814.photobucket.com/albums/zz61/MrAcoustat/Systme07.jpg

minx
14th June 2011, 15:23
To say "Hi". I'm in my late 50s been a music lover all my life and was once a drummer so used to hang around with musicians. I have about 3,000 cds and 1000 vinyl but no longer have a turntable so the vinyl never get played anymore.

Turntable was a Linn Sondek with an SME arm. (shows my age). Now have an Eastsound E5 CD, Affordable Valve Company KT88 Signature am and Tannoy R3 Revolution speakers.

Musical tastes: everything!

jevy47
9th July 2011, 14:58
Hi

Just joined Audiosmile and am trying to upload a photo of my stuff but seem to be having a spot of trouble.

I have reduced the size of the photo to below 100 kb but an error message is coming up when I try to upload it.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Any advice greatly received.

Cheers

Davey

Tenson
9th July 2011, 15:31
I'd advise uploading images to an external hosting site and linking it here.

http://imageshack.us/

Upload it to that free site. Then copy the bit where it says 'Forum Code' into the post.

jevy47
9th July 2011, 16:18
Hi Tenson,

Thanks for your help.

I`ve registered with imageshack and thought I`d uploaded a photo to their website but can`t find it.

Sorry but I have not got a clue how to do this.

Tenson
9th July 2011, 18:29
You don't need to register, you just go to the page and click upload. It then gives you a link to put on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cVEMetE6fg

jevy47
9th July 2011, 21:15
Many thanks Tenson, got there in the end.

I was putting the Forum Code in the attachment at the bottom.

First photo I have ever posted on a hifi website.
It won`t be the last.

Thanks again.

Davey

mygreendog
12th July 2011, 21:10
first ever forum...

Currently using :

Windows 7 PC (wavs with Dbpoweramp)
Benchmark DAC1 usb
Myryad MP100/MA120 pre power
Michell mycro
Creek phono stage
Dynaudio audience 40s

DAC is the latest addition & I'm loving the PC based sytem, nearly got all the CDs ripped. Also a big vinyl fan, with a minor ebay turntable problem

hifipete
18th July 2011, 22:06
Hello to you all.

Just joined the forum and will be looking for advice on all things hi fi related. I have very little technical knowledge on the electronic side of things and would be also completetly lost in carrying out any DIY/modding work to hi fi equipment. This I hope to address by learning and listening to advice from fellow forum members.

I have an 80's Naim system consisting of a 32.5 pre/140/HiCap/Linn Kanns and is now looking forward to getting a vintage/classic amp set up to drive a recently acquired pair of Tannoy Monitor Golds in a Lancaster enclosure.

Happy listening

Pete

RobHolt
18th July 2011, 23:16
Hi Pete and welcome.

Feel free to post any questions about the proposed vintage system out on the general forum.

Davidcat
12th October 2011, 19:48
Hi everybody ! New bloke here.
My kit : Clearaudio Reference, Basis Vector arm, AT oc9 cart, Dino and Dino plus, Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300 amp, MF DM25 CD and DAC, Talk electronics tuner, Martin Logan Acent i 'speakers all wired together with an assortment of wildly expensive cables!
Taste in music: mostly rock, big Paul Simon fan, Floyd, Zep, Rush, Tull, You get the picture. Totally into Porcupine Tree right now, seek some out if you don't know their work.:cool:

YNMOAN
12th October 2011, 19:55
My friend Andrew absolutely LOVES Porcupine Tree.

RobHolt
12th October 2011, 20:00
Hi David and welcome.

We seem to have lots of 'cat' people here :)

Davidcat
12th October 2011, 20:00
My friend Andrew absolutely LOVES Porcupine Tree.

Obviously a man of taste and discernment.

joethebus
23rd January 2012, 23:18
Hello all

It's nice to be here. I'm just embarking on a bit of an adventure, me, having had a hi-fi of sorts many, many years ago and had bits of it die or go walkies over the years so that in the end nothing was left. I didn't really bother about music much except for live gigs, Glastonbury every year 'cos I happen to live nearby and a few tapes/CDs in the car. It's been, well, decades - until about three years ago.

I worked in studios way back when with proper beeb sound engineers, I was doing lighting in the TV studio mostly but we had an Eastlake room that recorded pretty good stuff and I got to like the sound of accurate kit in a treated room. Now I'm trying to recapture the excitement and magic of walking into the studio control room in the morning and listening to what the engineers had been recording the night before.

My speakers are elderly Rogers Export Monitors and I also have a pair of Rogers JR 150s; driven by either Rogers e20a valves or a Quad 520f. Analogue sources are a rather ropey Rega 2 deck or Panasonic 611 tape machine, but I don't use either much; digital is an Orelle CD-10T through a Beresford Caiman DAC or the computer.

I bought a big memory tank last year so have room for lots of uncompressed bits and have been trying to get to grips with Pure Music/Tunes/TuneUp on a Mac out through either firewire into a Mackie 820i using that as DAC or optical SPDIF to Caiman; and JRiver, USB to Caiman on a little 12volt PC to retrieve and play, using dBpoweramp to rip and convert. What a nightmarish and monumentally ineffective time-wasting activity that has proved to be! Talk about one step forwards and two steps back!!!

When it's behaving my stuff sounds crisp and rich and pretty much all there, but it doesn't necessarily do what it's told. It's hard to say whether our labradors or the stereo is more obedient. I listen nearfield in a smallish and acoustically calm room nad think its quite revealing; high res. needle drops played back digitally are interesting aren't they, and I don't think I'd know that if my kit isn't there or thereabouts!

Maybe one day I'll have my library up together and the playback kit so sorted that I'll start worrying about the wires that hook it all together. That's the hope.

I'm looking forward to getting to know who's who here and will probably ask a fair few stupid questions before I reach my goal. So apologies for that.

I haven't even mentioned room dynamics have I? Well maybe I did just a bit; they make a big difference, don't they.

Happy New Year everyone

Joe

dubman23
30th January 2012, 18:47
Hi,I'm Mark new to hifi forums but have been into hifi for nearly 30 years.Currently using Rega Saturn,Rega Mira 3,Castle Chesters,PC,Beresford Caiman,Revolver/Linn TT with various Rega,Chord and Atlas leads.I have a second system which is a Moth 30 passive pre ,biamped Quad 405's,Creek Tuner Cambridge Audio CDP and Castle Cliftons.I'm after a Rega Maia 3 cos I like biamping but any suggestions on floorstanders to go with Rega kit ?Cheers Mark.

Dev
30th January 2012, 20:49
Welcome Joe, Mark. I hope you'll like it here.

RobHolt
30th January 2012, 21:29
My speakers are elderly Rogers Export Monitors and I also have a pair of Rogers JR 150s; driven by either Rogers e20a valves or a Quad 520f. Analogue sources are a rather ropey Rega 2 deck or Panasonic 611 tape machine, but I don't use either much; digital is an Orelle CD-10T through a Beresford Caiman DAC or the computer.

Hi Joe,

I've got a pair of Exports and some Quad kit.
Lovely stuff :)

Markus S
31st January 2012, 12:32
Rob, you can welcome just about anybody here and say you have some of the same stuff as they.

RobHolt
31st January 2012, 21:18
Hi Markus,

Yes my place does rather resemble a hi-fi museum :)

regards,

rockinglicks
13th November 2013, 06:57
I am new here and want to just say hello to all. I love music of rock, reggae, R&B, genres.

RobHolt
13th November 2013, 12:25
Hi and welcome - hope you find the site useful :)

rockinglicks
18th November 2013, 04:51
Thank you!

Surdo
2nd March 2014, 11:27
Hello, just arrived on this forum.

I'm putting together a couple of systems, one that will double as a home studio and a system for listening to music; the other system, specifically for music listening (2 channel as well). My budget is a bit limited and I live in a country where imports are heavily taxed but I'll be making some posts in the future asking how to improve my system in increments.

For the studio I have a pair of Tannoy system 12 DMT IIs, a budget mixer that I plan to upgrade, an RME interface to a computer and a Sunfire Signature 600 stereo power amp. Very happy with the sound.

For the other system I have a pair of JBL 4312As again, old monitors. These sound very good to me although don't have the definition of the Tannoys and are lighter on bass - that's OK. I've placed an order for a Croft micro 25 pre-amp and the Series 7 power amp. I'll use the preamp with the other system too. My turntable is a Project P 1.2 which I'm currently running through a no-name preamp into the mixer while waiting for the crofts.

As well as posting questions about how to improve the turntable I'm also in the market for a low-cost but good CD player and/or a network player.

Cheers, Iain

Labarum
2nd March 2014, 11:41
Welcome Surdo.

Some pictures of your kit would be nice in due course.

Surdo
2nd March 2014, 12:44
Thanks Brian - I'll hold on the photos for a bit - everything is jammed into a space less than 2 metres wide before we move house - can't see much for the mess. I forgot to add musical listening tastes to my post: Brazilian popular music mainly between the 50s and up to the late 1970s, jazz and latin jazz, some nu-jazz, classical and contemporary classical, electroacoustic music, very rarely rock music these days although there's still a Captain Beefheart album amongst the LPs - also some old Brian Eno LPs and other things. Cheers

CountryLad
24th May 2014, 07:58
Hello folks, my name's Geoffrey and I've just joined the forum.

Current kit is as follows.

PrimaLuna Prologue Two and Harman Kardon HK990

Rega Apollo plus Rega DAC

Harbeth SHL5 and Tannoy Turnberry SE

RobHolt
24th May 2014, 13:26
Hi and welcome!

I see you have two amps and pairs of 'speakers.
Do you mix n match or pair them into different systems?

CountryLad
29th May 2014, 11:35
Hi Rob and thank you for the welcome.

I mostly use the Rega Apollo/Rega DAC with the PrimaLuna and Turnberrys but for a change I sometimes use the HK990 and SHL5's. I really ought to put the SHL5's up for sale because I prefer the Turnberry's.

record_spot
11th June 2014, 15:50
Hi all,

Latest new boy on the block!

I've been kicking around hifi since the late 1970s, first got into music in the late 1960s (thanks to my mum and dad's records and an old Dansette Viva!) and these days frequent a couple of hifi fora; less often at the WHF forum and - more often - the Steve Hoffman one.

Like the site and the format - currently circling round the Kensais as a potential next purchase; time will tell!