Welcome to the AudioSmile Forum!

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which gives you access to view all discussions, but registering an account will give you access to post in discussions, create your own threads, communicate privately with other enthusiasts, respond to polls and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

After you join - You must email admin and ask for your registration to be completed. This is to stop spam. If you don't do this, you will not be able to post.

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us for support.

To register now click here.

Old 18th March 2008, 08:15   #1
mickm

spendor s8 none e version how do they sound

hi, anyone had a set of these or still got a set , how do they sound , how much better is the more recent e version over the origanal , any feed back welcome , mick
mickm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 20th March 2008, 15:11   #2
Hamilton

Well I had a pair a few years back and I liked 'em fine, though they're not to everyone's taste, and its kind of hard to describe how speakers sound but here goes... Very detailed and accurate in the mid and treble but not at all harsh, nice firm bass - clean but definitely not bloated. The mix is always clear and seperate - kind of an 'airy' sound. They sounded particularly good with acoustic/vocal or classical stuff. May not be the ideal choice for dance or anything else really bass heavy, but actually good amplification makes a difference - mine took a major step up when I got some Cyrus monoblocks. Critics say they sound 'dry' and even 'dull' but I guess that depends what you're used to/like. They're not 'warm' but generally I like accurate so... Eventually switched to a pair of W-B Orators which were all that plus beefier in the bottom and with a touch of warmth. Can't comment on comparisons with the e-models. I think the major change was in cabinet construction where they went from the 'traditional' (for Spendor) thin walled cabs to something more conventional. Never heard comment about changes to the sound so maybe there wasn't much. Worth a listen, because they tend to be a love 'em or hate 'em thing. Hope that helps...
Old 20th March 2008, 20:40   #3
mickm

thanks for that much appreciated , ive got a set of proac resonce 2s at the moment but moving to a bigger listerning room so after a replacment for the proacs that offer better bass , probably a bigger proac is the safe bet but though i would try somthink new , ta , mick
mickm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2nd May 2008, 19:06   #4
pat36a

I'm looking at a pair of S8's so interested to see if anyone can add anything new to this thread?
pat36a is offline Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 13:35   #5
DSJR

I thought the Response 2's to be one of Proac's triumphs to be honest, even at their inflated price when new.

In audiophool circles, Spendor are regarded as "Spendorszzzzzzzzz" as they don't have this artificial "speed" that is so well liked. The S8's sound magnifcently smooth, but involving and powerful. get them a few hands breadths from a back wall and nowhere near corners and perhaps consider cabling like the Chord Rumour that we mostly used with them. A clean, clear, slightly "assertive" sounding amp with a punchy but musical, bass performance would work best I feel.

The S8e's were a tad tauter low down and sounded a touch livelier as a result IIRC. A much underrated speaker I think.

Is your new room going to be able to take old S100/SP100's? These are too large for many of us, but the extra scale would be well worth while if you can get some space around them (stands aren't a problem if you know where to look).
DSJR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2008, 13:58   #6
pat36a

Sorry for all the questions, but you guys often have the answers.

How old are S8's likely to be?

When first released? When last sold before replacement by 8e's.

I listen a lot at low volume - S8 suited to this?
Old 6th May 2008, 16:24   #7
Hamilton

I think the S8's appeared about 8 years ago and were replaced by the e versions 3 or 4 years after that, but that's relying on fallible memory. You might find the info on the Spendor website. And they work well at low volume.
Old 8th May 2008, 21:02   #8
pat36a

Thanks